We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Samsung Galaxy Ace Connecting to a PC

The Teacher

Likes # 0

My other half has taken possession of the above phone but cannot find how to connect it to her laptop and use as a modem and to transfer files and pics etc, from one to the other.

I have a Nokia N8 and have tried what I do with that to see if it will connect but to no avail. Also when connected with the USB cable it will show up as a Drive G but then it shows in properties that the disk is full with 0 bytes available but also shows that there are 0 bytes of used space!

I have never had a Samsung smartphone so don't know how to go on with this. The user manual, such as it is, is a waste of space.

Thanks

The Teacher

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You need the Samsung Kies software which you can download from Samsung support.

Like this post
The Teacher

Likes # 0

Thanks. Downloaded and installed the software, ran it, said it was updating, and asked her to connect her phone. When she did, got a message saying installing device drivers, then saying it couldn't connect to the phone. Ran the built in troubleshooter, but still cannot connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The Teacher

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Regrettably this can happen from time to time. Which OS? Did the phone show up as a external device, did you get the sound of connecting a usb device? Some times you have to have patience waiting for the phone to connect.

Other options are reboot laptop, unplug phone and reconnect, try different usb port.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I have seen many Galaxys with this problem. Even my own when I first got it over a year ago. Firstly got to smansung support and choose your model of phone then go to the downloads for your model of smartphone.

Uninstall the old kies and re-install the new. Do not connect your galaxy smartphone into a Card Reader USB port but try the front panel usb is you have one if not then it would have to be the rear ports.

Ok, next it to make sure your smartprone is not going to go into the password lock or standby screen so you will need to turn this off in settings and security. Also turn of Wi-Fi if you have it connected wireless.

Before this next step I strongly recomend you have a MicroSD memory card fitted in the phone and you have backed up all to your card. To check then switch off the phone and open the back, you will see a card which is tiny fitted in the left middle side just about the battery.

If you happy you have got a back-up to your memory card then proceed and connect your galaxy via the USB cable. It must be the cable for your phone.

Hopefully your phone will register with the computer/laptop and the first thing that might happen is it will want to update the firmware for your phone.

If you plan to carry out this firmware for your phone and it fails then it will corrupt your phone setting and you will have to put the old firmware back using the kies recovery firmware tool in the menus

The firmware update usually in most cases fixies connection issues and problems when backing up your phone data to the machine and also can fix other pain problems.

You can opt out of updating the firmware and proceed to make a backup to you machine. Make sure also as it will help that your machine/laptop does not go on screen saver and especially standby while working with it.

If there are any other updates like Adobe, Java windows updates wanting to be updated then get these done so the windows doesn't get dragged down.

Good Luck

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features