We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Motorola Gleam - Sim Free

kwil2

Likes # 0

Hello... I'm a senior citizen who's never had a mobile phone. However, over the weekend, I won a Pay As You Go, Sim-free, Motorola Gleam Plus phone in a raffle. It's a very basic phone but I may as well make use of it - if nothing more than just to acquaint myself with mobile phones. I know 'Sim-free' means I can slot in a Sim card from any provider, giving me flexibility, with no contract etc. However, I'd like to try a couple of providers just to see how good they are. So, forgive my ignorance, but I have two questions: 1) If I get a Sim card from 'provider A' but for whatever reason don't like the service, can I then just take out that card and replace it with a card from 'provider B' and so on without any problems? Obviously it's best to change after I've used up any topup amount.... 2) I don't know what my mobile phone number actually is at the moment: is it shown on the Sim card and if so, if I change that card, will that change my number??

Would appreciate any suggestions or help. Many thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You can indeed put any network's PAYG SIM in the phone and it will work. Each SIM will provide you with a different phone number.

To be honest, there's not much point in trying different networks unless there's a compelling reason to do so. All the networks will provide the same kind of service, unless you live in an area where there's a particular problem with a specific provider. You can find that out by asking neighbours or/and friends.

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Hello...many thanks for taking time to explain. By changing providers, I wasn't only thinking of 'coverage' (I live in a major city...so no problems with that) but also 'customer service' of any provider. By having SIM-free, I also could take advantage of 'low-tariff' offers... However, if that means always having to change my number each time I switch provider, perhaps that's more trouble than it's worth. Didn't I read somewhere if you switch provider you can keep your number?? Would appreciate any further clarification or indeed recommendations. So far, the phone's still in its box!

Many thanks, again...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Keeping your number, but to be honest, if you're a low airtime user, it's not worth the bother.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September