We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using EE's 4G mobile connection for home internet

WinstonSnith

Likes # 0

Hi, I have recently moved into an area of London with no fibre optic cables, just copper wires. Internet speed test gives me upto (rarely) 10mbs/s d/l speed.

Now I see can get unlimited calls and 4G internet through the phone and am wondering if this is a credible alternative to wired internet? My current phone has an app / feature whereby it shares its 3G with my laptop and my laptop's wifi receiver picks my phone up as if it were a modem?

Sound like a good plan?

Cheers

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Suggest you compare costs and data download limits.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

I have the EE 4g on 12 month contract and a Galaxy S3, it is an expensive contract, but suits my needs, and works well in Cardiff. You can certainly tether this one, I use it to download the weekly free movie onto my Tablet.

When I was shopping around 3 told me that if I took a 4g phone on their one plan then I would be automatically upgraded when they got 4g in a couple of months (thought march was the earliest).

It is far better than my miserable 3 mb/s land line. I use a mix and match. If I have the time I use my unlimited sky broadband, if I am away on my travels then I use a t-mobile 3g Dongle with my 4g package as well. It's great for sky go.

One note of caution, some of these packages say unlimited data on your phone. This is exactly what it means, it will not tether as you require. Make sure you can tether.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

Lenovo has created its own 'Google Glass'