We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovering photos from SD card

cyberphobic

Likes # 0

My son has just returned from holiday and has a problem with an SD card of photos. When they are viewed on the camera they are exactly as they should be, but when they are viewed on a computer using a card reader many of them are incomplete, showing only a horizontal band of part of the subject with the remainder being grey. I have tried 2 or free programmes including Zero Assumption and Campic Restor but many of the photos remain incomplete. Does this mean that the pictures are permanently damaged and not recoverable, or does anyone have any further suggestions as to how I might be able to recover these pictures?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Are you using the PC's card reader or an USB card reader?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To add, connect your camera to the PC, select 'view files'. Can you see all the photos OK? If you can, create a new folder on the desktop and copy the photos to the folder.

Like this post
cyberphobic

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks for your replies - it turns out that the pictures were taken with his girlfriends camera so viewing via the camera is not an option. I have been viewing the pics with a USB card reader. The bit I don't understand is that the photos in the file on my computer all look fine until I clck on them and then many of them are incomplete

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I think the reason you can see them complete is that you are looking at a thumbnail of the picture. When you click on the photo it loads the actual photo which sounds as if it is corrupted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days