We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tiny Lithium rechargeable batteries for toys.

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

I indulged myself in one of those miniature helicopters. Incredibly cheap for the fun this has given me. The whole thing including a 150 mah Lithium battery built into the machine was something just under £17.

The battery is recharged either by a built in lead to the Tx batteries or by (you've guessed it) a USB port on the PC, also connecting cable supplied. (USB plug glows orange when only USB plug is in and later when the battery is fully charged).

Flight times have slipped badly recently, one takeoff and the briefest of flights before it ceased to climb again.

Guessed the battery was failing and Ebay had a source in PRC. This time, delivery took 10 days and cost £1.79 including postage?

I had dared to do this because of a very useful tutorial on the net. It was very fiddly but scary because the new battery showed no volts at all before wiring it in.

Makers recommend40-50 minutes to charge, the new battery took nearer 60 mins, but is back with at least 5 minutes of flight possible.

So, that's the background

Q1 Is it expected to have a no-volt reading on a new battery which hasn't been charged?

Q2 Did I wreck the first battery by leaving it charging for maybe a couple of hours while I did something else? No sign of heating either in use or when charging.

Q3 Do Lithium batteries develop a memory like NiCads used to do?

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Have a read of this click here I used to leave my laptop Li-ion battery plugged in but switched off when charging completed, (previously I used to unplug) but my charge quickly went down hill, and then I read a University paper on the net saying even though it is switched off but still connected a chemical reaction takes place which finally destroys the battery life, now with a new battery the charger is now quickly turned off and unplugged once charging is complete.

Like this post  
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks ventad.

The new battery is still behaving, so I watch the charge very closely and stop charging as soon as the warning LED glows. That has presumably done the trick.

In more sophisticated kit, the charge current is reduced almost to zero once the battery is full, but what can you expect with such a delightful toy @ £14.95 including airmail from China.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects