We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPhone 3GS battery life problems

montrachet

Likes # 0

Hi I have an iPhone 3GS, just inherited from my brother, I say this as it's new to me, seems to consume its battery even when off. I can switch all functions off, charge it to 100% leave it overnight and it has discharged by 40% by the morning. It seems to be even worse with the SIM card in. Vodafone PAYG. The SIM is over 3years old. The battery is now 2+ years old, could it be that it needs replacing or is this just normal. Any advice would be appreciated. John.

Like this post
CommandJG

Likes # 0

I used to have same problem. The battery ran out so fast. I did not want to buy new one at that time and the battery could not be replaced. I had no choice but always carried iPhone charger.

Like this post
Rooney85

Likes # 0

Could the apple's battery be replaced? Gosh, I just knew it. I thought it could be no replace, you gotta buy new phone if there is something wrong.

Like this post
feond

Likes # 0

What about this? It is a portable backup power supply unit, with USB interface. It is suitable iPhone 3G, iPhone 4G and a variety of iPad digital products. Using high-capacity lithium battery. It ensures the power supply / charger to consoles for long time. With sleep mode and low power switches reminder. Intelligent power save energy. http://1cc.cc/ns9 Large-Capacity USB External Backup Battery Pack Power Supply for iPhone 3G/4G

Like this post
worrell.christian

Likes # 0

Ugh. What a crummy problem. If it was me, I would get to an apple store or call their customer care to see about what options are available... That, or get one of those portable charges, and keep it charging all of the time. Good luck! :(

Like this post
montrachet

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for your views and opinions. I have been trying some further tests. If I switch the phone completely off-press and hold off button and slide. Then the battery holds charge overnight, only losing 1 or 2% of capacity. I think this means the battery os OK. When the phone is in standby with all functions switched off, it is still consuming battery. To me, this means something is operating in the background and I cannot find out what it is. For the cost, after two years plus of use I am tempted to have the battery changed anyway. I will give it some more thought and report back. Thanks again to all who posted. John.

Like this post
jellyhead

Likes # 0

If you are prepared to take the phone apart yourself there are plenty of tutorials on youtube to show how it is done and a battery will cost about £7 on ebay

Like this post
dawn0115

Likes # 0

They are so power consumption is very powerful, you need at any time with a mobile charger.iPhone battery charger

Like this post
Sammyi

Likes # 0

iPhone battery life is an universal problem. ;( I even kept a mobile charger with me all the time and I lose it twice! gosh!!!

Like this post
sid8

Likes # 0

The batteries begin to decline in performance after about a couple of years. They prefer being topped up, not being run down to zero and being charged up again. Though Apple's battery care page suggests that it's worth running down the battery once a month. In the meantime, there are free battery monitoring apps available, you could use them to track battery usage. Also turn off non essential services such as Bluetooth, push email and so on. Turn the screen brightness a bit lower. This should get you a bit more time until you trace the fault itself.

Regards

Sid

Nitrotek

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added