We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

questions re use of galaxy3

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

1] the phone suddenly makes calls all on its own for no reason, seems this is called direct call but cannot workout how to turn this function off.

2] when i look at web pages, then press the home button or sleep button at the side does this close those web pages, as they often appear at a later time for no reason. the phone is on unlimited data use so not worried there but stuff running in the background will hasten battery use.

3] if in an area with no signal will it recieve calls by auto divert to another network.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Based on the original Galaxy

1. Don't know

2. No - it usually leaves the browser open. This is why I have an app (bult in) called Task Manager or Active Applications on one of the home screens so that I can immediately see what apps are running and can close them from there.

3. No signal = no signal. No calls nothing. If you mean in an area where your mobile operator doesn't provide coverage then it may roam to another operator but may only permit emergency calls.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell

thank you for the reply

do you gert problem number 1?

I have found application manager- programs running, but does not list web pages just apps many of which i have no idea what they do.

going to a few places where there is no "3" coverage, was thinking of getting an o2 paygo sim to cover these areas. cant understand why away from the SE "3" coverage is not so good.

whats the best way to unlock a phone, the indian market traders offering this seem a bit shifty.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't get problem 1.

Not application manager which you may have found under settings but look instead for an app called Task Manager which when opened lists active applications (ones open and in use). This will not list web pages but will allow you to see if the browser is still open and using resources. You can force close it from that app.

Don't use 3 so cannot comment on coverage.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Found this: The Galaxy S3 has a number of features which are activated by motion. Direct Call will automatically call a contact if their log, contact, or message details are on the screen and you move the handset to your ear. Direct Call can be switched on and off in the Motion section of the settings menu.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell

thanks

just turned off motion in settings, only had the tick at top of the screen.

have no task manager app or widget, will have to look for a reommended free app to download.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell found task manager on my galaxy it was hidden. to access it press and hold down the home button after a while task manager opens and displays all the open webs etc with an option to close. found i had a youtube still running from a few days ago plus loads of web pages. my battery should last better now.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

since i have found and started using task manager getting 3 times the battery life.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)