We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Never bought a smart phone before, need help!

barn

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have between £150-£200 to spend on a sim free smart phone. I don't do contracts, as I don't phone or text much, but I want something to play with and be able to access web etc, so I want to put a Giffgaff sim in it. I'd like an android phone if possible, and something which takes half decent snaps.

If anyone has suggestions for which phone to go for, and where to get it, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Barn

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

be careful of HTC phones great during first year from new, but many develop reboot problems where they get stuck in a cycle of rebooting frustrating if you want to make a call. I had one and everyone i know with one has gone to to develop this problem.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

I hope that was just coincidence/bad-luck, my HTC Wildfire is just about 18months old, no problems so far!!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

nontek

all htc desires that i know about covering two different editions. read somewhere that a batch of over 40,000 had the problem. did post at the time and htc forums an eye opener too.

Like this post
barn

Likes # 0

Thanks for the input guys. I've been to Phones4u and they have a Huawei G300 which I can get as an upgrade for £140, but as it's unlocked I can put my Giffgaff sim in it no problem. This is a fairly new phone and according to reviews I've googled, it's pretty good for the cash.

Any thoughts out there? Any better ideas? I don't want to shell out a lot of cash for my first smartphone, and then find its rubbish!

I've been thinking about battery life as well, but according to the nice phones4u lady, a smart phone uses battery and all of them need charging daily or every two days, no matter which one you get. That seems a bit annoying!

Thanks again for any help people!

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

suggest if you get an Android phone you should really be looking for Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4 as a minimum standard for the OS

Like this post
G-telware

Likes # 0

Go with a dual sim smart phone. It will give you advance features as well as dual sim support........

Like this post
alibob

Likes # 0

I personally bought a Huawei ascent g300, it seems a pretty good phone & costs £100 in Tesco's. It was locked to Vodaphone but after trying three different shops to get it unlocked without success,(including a high st. Vodaphone shop)I phoned Vodaphone who promptly gave me a number to input on the phone & after switching phone off, then switching back on, my own sim card(Asda) it worked OK. Asda is very cheap compared to all other company's for phone calls & texting. You say you do not want a contract but on making inquiries myself, I was told that PAYG,(which I am on) works out very expensive for internet or GPS usage, 64 pence a minute but a £5 contract is very good value.Hope this helps,(I am a novice smartphone user).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'