We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Top speed or nothing from speed control box!

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

My son has a small control box, Chinese made, using mains to low voltage, supplying DC for a hand-held drill. Like a Dremel but more robust.

The machine has suddenly ceased to run at any speed other than top speed either when switched to foot control or speed control knob on the box.

Since the controls are switched and each consists of only a variable resistor I assume the fault lies inside the box which has a separate transformer, but everything else on a reasonable circuit board.

No circuit diagram, I'm out of touch with theory and practice, so little use me having ago to draw my own diagram.

One piece of luck which could solve the problem --- while looking the thing over, (electrolytics look OK) I found that one transistor in the(control circuit perhaps) has literally split a corner and most of one side is missing.

As far as I can make out this transistor TO92 package)has a label saying MCR 100-6 P89

This is as close as I could come to a description Data Sheetbut most of that data sheet is gobbledygook to me.

What I hope someone will do is to look at the specs and name an equivalent or better still say where a suitable replacement is in stock.

I tried Maplin but hardly surprising, their stock of yesterday's technology is not comprehensive!

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

End game

I found a data sheet for the replacement, it is an SCR. Very clued friend found several on eBay and I paid $2.89 USD including postage for 10 pieces! Other sites were offering @ up to £10 single plus postage.

Seller today says item despatched today. Doesn't say whether by air or container ship from - China

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...