We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Confused with TV Help ??

tobyhunter

Likes # 0

When I went out to buy a TV, I got confused with LCD, LED, 3D, and Smart. Please help me.

Like this post
manoj9585

Likes # 0

In these era 3D or smart TV is huge everywhere so you should choose one of them.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

LCD and LED use the same technology, the difference is the way the picture is illuminated. Old fashioned tube TV's glowed and you viewed the picture. LCD TV's produce a picture that needs a backlight to make it viewable. A standard LCD TV has fluorescent strip lights around the screen to illuminate the picture whereas LED TV's use LED's to illuminate the picture but it's the same type of picture as LCD.

3D TV's allow you to view standard and 3D sources, the latter needs special viewing glasses (obviously one pair per person viewing).

SMART TV's connect to a Network and thus the Internet and allow you to access many different sources of Content such as the BBC iPlayer. Each TV is different so you need to check just what is available from each one. They also allow you to network your TV with a media server which may be your own PC.

I would be surprised if a 3D TV wasn't also a SMART TV.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Like this post
redturtleneck

Likes # 0

There are two categories in 3D TV too, which is active and passive. Passive is known for better in terms of viewing experience and better glasses but it's really up to you. but I always tell people not to get active ones, your eye will in pain so much. Most of the 3Ds use active tech now but LG and vizio uses Passive. Hope it helped.

Like this post
Kevinbrown

Likes # 0

LCDs are the old story, at present if you want to enjoy the picture quality in 3D with the latest applications, you should go for a TV that has LED backlight with 3D and smart applications. One of the TVs that I would recommend that has this TV is LG’s cinema 3D smart TV.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...