We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with iPhone mail app

hunts

Likes # 0

I have an iPhone 3Gs and over the last few days have been having problems with the mail app. On viewing emails I receive the message "cannot connect to server" (when I have no problems with any other apps connecting to server) and when it does download emails I then cannot delete or transfer to other mailboxes (i.e. mailbox trash or sent mailbox) I have only two mailboxes now - inbox and drafts - whereas I normally have 30 mailboxes. Has anyone else come across this problem and if so have a sotution?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Have you ried a re-boot? That cured a similar problem on my iPad.

Like this post
hunts

Likes # 0

Thanks AMS4127, do you mean delete Hotmail (mail server) and reinstall? If so I have tried that and Hotmail will not download. So I have no server within the maail app now. I cannot delete the mail app as it was installed on the iPhone and there is not a delete option.

Like this post
MariD

Likes # 0

hi to you both! if you are having real problems, would suggest you try a third party app specifically designed for email which hopefully would be better. personally I find the iphone mail a bit limited and also I have more than one account, ie google mail, hotmail and yahoo etc. I downloaded an app for the app store called Altamail which works from the iphone to a mac or pc with no issues. Good luck.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Hunts

No just shut the iPhone down and then restart. This normally sorts out the email problems.

MariD

Whilst I agree the Mail App could be better and will be in iOS6, there is no problem having multiple email addresses in the current version. I have a gmail, hotmail, BT and Apple account on my iPhone and iPad.

Like this post
hunts

Likes # 0

Many thanks bremner, That's what I have done and all sorted now.

Also thanks MariD I'll keep that in mind if I encounter any more problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...