We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any CCTV Experts Out There?

rossgolf

Likes # 0

Hi guys, Didnt really fit in with the PC Helproom so posting here, feel free to move it FE if needs be :)

I work in a shop where ive set up the CCTV cameras (only a small high street shop). We have 8 cameras in total. They are all hard wired in and connected to a very expensive DVR. (Video Switch Vi101). The program to watch the camera feeds remotely is pretty good, however i want to be able to watch it in real time rather than frame by frame that the program only allows for. For example, at the moment you can watch a frame a second. In the shop its connected to a monitor and of course you can watch it in real time there but not remotely. Is there any way to watch it remotely?

Cheers

RossGolf

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Sorry I cannot give a proper answer, but yes it should be possible to view any/all the monitors remotely - the reason I can say this is because some time ago a friend of mine had a similar setup in a couple of his shops, at which time, given a URL by my friend, I could watch all his Monitors on my XP PC at home.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

Watching remotely isnt the issue. I can do that already. The problem is the fact that its second by second images im viewing rather than a live continuous view

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Your question was ....

Is there any way to watch it remotely?

Anyway, sorry I can't help.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

Ahh sorry, didnt realise - Typo - Should have been Live Remotely**

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think this is really better suited to the Digital Home forum, so I'm moving it across from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

Cheers FE

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The quality of the remote feed will tend to be limited by the upstream feed rate of the internet connection in the shop. In other words, the faster the broadband upload rate, the better the stream quality.

Check your shop's upload speed.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

Hmm, true but I did check that a while ago and the images being uploaded are only 34kb ish. I think it might be the software im using but i cant find any decent free software to test that theory with.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The issue is your upload link. You need to drop the remote view resolution to CIF if possible, as the compression on this DVR is quite poor and will swamp an ADSL uplink if left at full resolution

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features