We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wifi hot spot ad-hoc enabling for Android

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've been trying to get an HTC on Android to use the data allowance from a SIM in a Nokia 700. The HTC is too big as a phone, so I only use it in the car as a satnav on Google maps which need a data allowance, currently a fiver a month for a data only SIM.

The required software for the Nokia is JoikuSpot which is installed OK, but Android doesn't see it as a wifi source. Various sources tell me that Android needs software that must 'root it to enable ad-hoc'. There is such software on the Android Market, but all comes with very cautious disclaiming warnings that make me think twice about installing any of it.

Has anyone done this or had problems with doing it?

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I'm a bit confused. Your Nokia is going to be the WiFi Access Point using the software you name. If thats the case your HTC should see it as any other WiFi (such as either your home router or the free WiFi in McDoalds). So why do you wish to use Ad-hoc? Or does the Nokia software only offer ad-hoc?

In my case I use my Android phone to WiFi Tether to my Android Tablet so that I can use my data allowance on my phone to power the Tablet. This can be achieved without rooting the phone (or in iPhone speak - Jailbreak). I see your example as equivalent with your (Nokia) phone in place of my (Android) phone. As the WiFi Tether App runs on the phone I don't need any additional App on the Tablet (equivalent to your Sat Nav) and the phone connects directly with my Tablets standard Infrastructure WiFi.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'your HTC should see it as any other WiFi' That's what I thought, but it doesn't see the Nokia.

'So why do you wish to use Ad-hoc? Or does the Nokia software only offer ad-hoc?' I believe that the Nokia will only tether with that piece of software installed. There is no other option without it, whereas the HTC has wifi hot spot as a built in option in it's settings if it was the other way around that I wanted to do it.

'Or am I misunderstanding your question?' No, I think you understand it correctly, it's just that from all I've looked at, it seems that Android needs rooting (that bit is over my head) software and I'm getting very negative reviews from the users of the rooting ad-hoc enabling software.

It's not the end of the world if I can't do what I want, it's now become more of a problem to solve, rather that saving a whole fiver a month!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Just too add that my Win XP netbook and Win 7 Laptop will connect OK through the Nokia as a wifi source, It's just Android that can't see it.

Like this post
manoj9585

Likes # 0

This is the best application for android phones we can connect our phone to wifi and we can enjoy the internet.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

You don't need any additional software on the Android. The WiFi Tethering Apps are to make the HTC the source (ie Transmitter) of the WiFi whereas you want to make the HTC the Receiver of the WiFi.

If you can't see the Nokia on the HTC but can on other devices you seem to have the HTC set up wrongly. First thing is to look at the Channel you are broadcasting from on the Nokia (use a low number as not all of the channels at the top end are available in all Regions). Then carefully look at the Encryption used on the Nokia when it's transmitting and make sure you have EXACTLY the same on the HTC.

I've seen not dis-similar problems on mobile devices before so I'm afraid it's working carefully through all the settings and making sure you only alter one at a time! It will work eventually!

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I meant to say Rooting is no great shakes. It simply gives you access to the Administrator level of the OS. This of course allows you to make changes to the system that a normal user wouldn't be allowed to do, so should only be used when absolutely necessary. To WiFi Tether it used to be necessary to Root but more recent Apps don't even need this.

By the way which version of Android are you using?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Android 2.3.5

Looks like I'll have to wade through the settings when I have nothing more interesting to do.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

You may find you need to alter the settings on the Nokia rather than on the HTC. I had a problem with a Nokia N95 connecting with an Android device and the solution was to vary the WiFi settings on the Nokia until they were compatible with the Android.

Like this post
mobilefodder

Likes # 0

I have a Nokia as well. Joikuspot can only generate Ad Hoc networks due to a limitation of the Nokia OS. This is fine if you want to use your Nokia to serve up internet on a laptop, but many portable devices such as tablets/smartphones can't connect to an ad hoc network without at least some hacking.

Considering the Nokia end of this problem can't be corrected, your only recourse is to try and modify your HTC to be able to use the Nokia's ad hoc connection.

For this very reason, I'm considering jumping to a cheap Android phone as a stop-gap solution until I can get the phone I really want in the future.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room