We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IceCream Sandwich upgrade for Samsung Note at last

rickf

Likes # 0

Got my upgrade this morning via Kies. It's great, much smoother and faster now. The new interface in soem places is very nice. I have had no problem at all contrary to some others.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks for the notification, but for me a total waste.

One of the reasons I upgraded to the Note was that my eyesight had deteriorated so much that I could no longer see the smaller screen of my Galaxy S.

I now find that many of my apps sit in a silly little window in the middle of the screen, and pinch to zoom has no effect, so I am reduced to using the magnifying glass again.

What's the point of a big screen, and pinch to zoom, if you can't use either?

Looks like I've got to find a Honeycomb ROM somewhere.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Sorry you don't like the upgrade. My apps sit at the bottom of the screen and they are the same size as before. You can always move the apps to a different screen where they are less congested? I bought the note for the same reason as you but perhaps my eyesight is not as bad as yours, just a guess.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that morddwyd's problem is that his apps are phone apps designed for phone screens and not the near tablet or tablet size screens. I have an iPad if I use an iPhone app it sits in the centre of the screen. Pinching doesn't work with those but at least most come with 2 x zoom.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I meant when I open an app, or when I go to an app settings screen, it sits in a little window.

For instance, Reware Backup opens in a small window, Pocket Informant setting.menu comes up in a small window.

There's a wasted big black border round the margins!

I have also found that the touch screen is now much less responsive, I have to give it a real good thump to get a response.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Strange, my apps are just the same as b4 and I don't get the wasted black border as yours. Mine is a GT-N7000. Is yours a different model? I am flumoxed!!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

How peculiar!

Mine is the standard model, just like yours, and apps presented perfectly normally on Honeycomb (and on my Galaxy S on Froyo and Gingerbread as well).

Guess some deep delving on the Xda Developers site must be scheduled.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow