We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Active 3D glasses for people with prescripted glasses

PeteS007

Likes # 0

Yesterday I visited my brother’s house and we were watching Hugo on his Samsung 3D TV… Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to enjoy it, because of the glasses. My bad vision requires me to wear glasses and the active pairs did not feel so comfortable with them. I didn’t enjoy at all, it was torture for my eyes and my face… Any suggestions, please?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you buy a 3d Tv , look at a LG - they use passive glasses, and soon, I believe will have "glassless" 3D. I do not have a 3D TV yet as I do not care for the current availability of input.

Like this post
mcclaudjohn

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear that. I guess this is one of the problems you have to encounter with Active 3D glasses. Another problem is that they’re expensive, heavy on the eyes, and takes time to recharge. LG passive 3D glasses will do you just fine since the LG 3D TV always comes with at least four pairs of free 3D glasses that you can share with family members and friends.

Like this post
Arvin.P

Likes # 0

Many people have exactly the same problem as you do and I don't understand why such a big companies don't try to make watching TV more comfortable for EVERYONE. If your brother has many friends or relatives with prescripted glasses, he shoud've bought a passive 3D TV (LG's one would be the best choice).

Like this post
chasmithy

Likes # 0

This is another thing I don't like about active 3D.. I wear glasses and active 3D does not have those clip ons like some passive 3D brands do. I think it was LG that had the clip ons. I went to one of the shows and there was LG and Samsung right next to each other. LG gave me the clip ons since I had my glasses on but Samsung just stood there and pointed at their shutter glasses like they expect me to wear their glasses on top of mine in public -_-

Like this post
wmary10

Likes # 0

Passive does seem better off than active but once glasses-free 3D TVs hit the store at a cheaper price, I'm for it.

Like this post
speedman

Likes # 0

Arvin, I differ with your point. In as much as I prefer passive 3D, I do believe that there are other people out there who do like the active 3D. It all depends on individual’s perception. But if we just compare both in terms of cost, passive 3D is way better off than active. For instance, when my uncle bought his LG 3D TV, it came with 4 pairs of free passive glasses and the glasses while most active sets only give you two if you're lucky.

Like this post
aiato

Likes # 0

It’s because of the flickering on active 3D TVs. People say that it’s ok, but when I myself tried the glasses on I could watch the movie but my brain could feel the flickering and it made my eyes really tired. And yes, the glasses are heavier and they have battery problems. You have to charge them very often. That’s why the comments above say it is better to use passive 3D glasses.

Like this post
harv57

Likes # 0

I heard passive 3d sets offer clip ons for people with prescribed glasses. If you're interested in buying a 3d tv for yourself, maybe you should look into that.

Like this post
Patrickholt

Likes # 0

There are two type of glasses which are used in 3D TVs, Active glasses and Passive ones. Samsung and Sony uses active glasses which I find quite uncomfortable because of its battery and the way it's shaped. This is just what I think tho, I know some people that can manage it. Brands like LG and Vizio are using passive glasses. One advantage of using passive glasses is (idk if all passives are like this but) LG provides clip ons which you can put over your regular glasses but actives don't.

Like this post
lhalfman

Likes # 0

I almost had a situation like you. I went over to my friends house because he bought a 3d tv. I heard a lot of bad news on the internet, but my friend has prepared one of those clip on glasses for me. He had an LG LM670T. All I had to do was tag it on top of my glasses, it was really nice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...