We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best option: Getting a Cinema 3D HDTV now or waiting for OLED TV ?

duke45

Likes # 0

We are planning to move to our new home in a month’s time and one of the decisions we have made recently is to purchase the latest TV set in order to comfortably watch the upcoming London Olympic Games. What we’re thinking now is whether to purchase the Cinema 3D HDTV or wait for the OLED TV that LG plans to release in May 2012. Any recommendation…?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I've read that the new LG OLED TV will be going for about $8000 US. Going by the Consumer Electronic Exchange Rate whereby they just remove the Dollar sign and replace it with a Pound sign I think we will all need to save our pennies.

;-)

Like this post
duke45

Likes # 0

Are you saying that the price for OLED TV is affordable and we can save money if we go ahead to buy one? Or is it too expensive and we shouldn't buy it? More clarification please…

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For me, to pay as much for a TV as for a small car cannot be justified, unless you are a footballer. The new LED Cinema LG's at around £1000 are perfectly OK I think.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I'm not saying its affordable or not. That decision is up to the individual.

However more info has come out and an official release from LG was held at the Monaco GP. There was a mention of €9000. If you consider that affordable then go ahead and buy one.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Got mt LG 37LS570T Smart Led TV and happy with it. Costs about £500

Like this post
wmary10

Likes # 0

OK I see where the argument is coming. Literally, ?8000 is way expensive especially to middle class people and below. But don’t forget that OLED TV has all the qualities you may think of in a TV set and besides, it’s not out yet. So I expect that ?8000 price tag is just to capture the early adopters. Also OLED TV is a new technology which LG should be justified for charging premiums.

Like this post
speedman

Likes # 0

If you have enough money to buy the OLED, by all means wait for it. But if not, get the 3D Cinema Screen. Since you're considering OLED, though, you might want to save up for it even if you're budget is tight for one. Not that many people seriously consider OLED evn though it's the most amazing TV out there because of its price.

Like this post
kirkthebest

Likes # 0

Both sound like a great plan but if I were you, I would buy the LG oled tv. i am actually saving up to buy one myself. The price may be up a little but it is going to be a breath-taking experience. The price is not what matters. I would choose oled tv over a small car any day. I spend more time watching tv than driving. Not only am I able to enjoy it but also my friends, family and kids. I always invite a lot of friends over on the weekend to watch some sport or movie.

Like this post
aiato

Likes # 0

I read in one of the forum threads that OLED TV will hit the stores by end of the year. I think If you're willing to wait and can cough up $8000 then OLED TV would be a better choice. But if you aren't that serious about TVs and just want to maybe watch the Olympics and movies occasionally, then go with LED smart TVs. You could probably get a decent LED TV for like?800~2000. I was actually waiting for the OLED TV too but I ended up getting the LG's LM760T and I'm glad I did that because I hate waiting and it's a great TV.

Like this post
JoeHill79

Likes # 0

I agree with all those comments above. If you have enough money and patient then wait. But if you get Cinema 3D one it will be still good. LG is a nice company so no matter what choice you make, you won’t kick yourself for that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone