We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which is convenient to use: Passive 3D glasses or Active 3D glasses?

behill80

Likes # 0

Imagine that you want to watch an exciting movie that only accept 3D display on your 3D TV set. As a matter of fact, you expect to get the best satisfaction so far if only you use one of the above goggles that match with your 3D TV set. In which case, will you prefer the Active shutter glasses or the Passive glasses? I am aware that active glasses only work for the same manufacturer unlike passive.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am told that passive glasses are cheaper and less of an eye strain. I am thinking of buying a LG ,partly as they are working on very narrow bezels, but also use the passive option.

Like this post
chasmithy

Likes # 0

Passive 3D is of course more convenient. First of all, it's way cheaper and it also doesn't require you to recharge the battery every time you watch a movie. I'm assuming you haven't tried on or even seen the active shutter glasses. They're shaped a certain way which is why your ears get very uncomfortable after wearing them for a little while. And lastly, this is a very common issue but the active shutter glasses cause flickering which gives a lot of people headaches.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

When you're watching TV while lying on your side on the setee, do you still get the 3D effect?

Like this post
chasmithy

Likes # 0

With passive 3D, yes but not with active 3D. Once you tilt your head to the side a little bit, your screens will go black

Like this post
aiato

Likes # 0

Almost everything was mentioned above. I would just add that active 3D glasses are heavier and inconvenient. LG probably has the best looking passive 3D glasses IMO and they're not that heavy either. They're just like regular sunglasses.

Like this post
JoeHill79

Likes # 0

Definitely passive ones. They are lighter, cheaper, more comfortable on the eyes and the face.

Like this post
redturtleneck

Likes # 0

Wasn’t it a given fact that passive 3D glasses are so much more superior then active ones?

Like this post
lhalfman

Likes # 0

Active glasses are so uncomfortable. There are always flickering, syncing, and the lenses always go black if you tilt your head at a certain angle. That is why I prefer LG 3d TV. LG has developed a lot on the 3d field. It gives the full 3d quality.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK