We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HOME PLUG SYSTEMS- ADVICE

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Having had installed FreeSat as part of the Digital Switch-over Package- I was made aware of being able to get TV on demand via the broadband router by application of Home Plug devices between Router and TV via the house mains circuit. Having purchased a kit I was dismayed to find that the out put unit has only an Ethernet connector- .

My Sony TV although having D-plug and Single pin connectors designated - 'PC' there is no Ethernet socket.

A phone call to the TP-LINK help line seemed to suggest that this connection is the only way.

So my question is - are there Ethernet- adaptors for the above mentioned connectors or is simply the case that my TV wont hacck it at all.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I assume your TV has Freesat built in. I have a Humax HDR and connected an ethernet cable from the Home plug to the socket on the Humax. No setting up--just automatic. Might be worth looking at Freesat STBs with an ethernet socket. Sorry can't be more help.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you for that MP

My PVR a Sony HXD890 and TN KDL32/40 has no Ethernet so it looks like start over or give up

Both items are Digital/Free-view and as part of the switchover I elected to get Feesat as well so in that respect I've got it all except 'ON DEMAND'

Like this post
Tigertops

Likes # 0

Muddypaws is spot on re the Humax Freesat PVR. I have the same set up and it is great-no problems. If you visit the Humax website you might find a refurbished one at a reasonable price. I did and saved quite a bit.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

I wouldn't give up. On demand works a treat with my Humax.

I would say though that I am in a new bungalow. I don't know if older wiring circuits might cause any problems, but no doubt someone here will re-assure you.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Good point MP re older wiring- fortunately I had the house rewired just a year ago.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

This connectivity issue I guess reflects they way 'stuff' moves on with only limited legacy support.

My daughter has a Humax twin tuner PVR for her Free Sat set up.

Yesterday I dug out the manual to look at the Ethernet arrangements and sure enough on the back plane an Ethernet socket.

Referring to the manual- it Simply said 'For Future Use'- this machine being barely 18 months old..

Yet I seem to recall seeing the Home Plug kits on sale in PC World at least 5/6 years ago

What sort of connectors were they fitted with?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Referring to the manual- it Simply said 'For Future Use'- this machine being barely 18 months old..

Humax TV portal now up and running

The software in her machine will be updated over the air to enable the ethernet port

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

FB Wrote Humax TV portal now up and running

The software in her machine will be updated over the air to enable the ethernet port

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/21/digital-home/4136939/home-plug-systems--advice/?pn=1#ixzz1tSI6VTbH.

As it happens thought the daughters Humax is Ethernet capable - her set up does not require 'Home Plug

The thrust of my last was- When these thing first appeared some years ago Ethernet connectivity of TV/and Recorder equipment was some time off into the future, yet I do seem to recall the literature at the time showed Tv in addition to computer networking to I assumed there must have been some other way of connecting Tv's pre Ethernet enabled came along.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer