We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeset intallation coming soon-will I need a 2 LNB set up?

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have taken the Freesat option with the Digital Switch Program. They are coming to set up next month.

My equipment is a Sony Digital TV and Sony Digital PVR

In its present terrestrial configuration I can record one program on the PVR and watch another on the TV.

Looking at the standard Freesat boxes on offer, I notice they each come with a single SCART out.

So to maintain the 'Watch one record another' will I need a dual LNB set up?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Since the satellite box has only one Scart it will have only one tuner. This is to be expected with the basic boxes procided under the digital switch-off scheme. To make use of another LNB you would need a second such box, available for some £70 or so. Most single boxes with twin tuners include hard drives (PVRs).

Although your Sony PVR and TV are described as digital, I assume that at the moment you are receiving analogue transmissions, otherwise you would not need to make any changes. If by digital you mean that they have Freeview tuners in-built, then presumably there is some reason why you are not currently using Freview or not intending to use when switch-over takes place.

It would be possible, for example, to use a Scart to composite video/S-Vhs converter to provide inputs to your recorder and TV from the one satellite box, provided you have the relevant input facilities. However, this would only facilitate recording the programme being watched.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you Natdoor

You commenb tis not quite clear to me - perhaps because I did not come over the same to you

Both the PVR and TV are Freeview enabled and I watch all through Freeview currently via the terrestrial Ariel. How ever I selected FREESEAT - because I could - and as a benefits/pensioner this option at £27 for the set up too good an opportunity to miss.

Thinking subsequently I could I guess have a single LNB set up to the PVR and let that output to TV via the HDMI line whilst retaining the TV on Terrestrial

How does that read?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

That seems fine. Essentially you are replacing the Freeview input to the PVR by a Freesat input. However, I think that there might be more effort in programming the PVR for timed recordings. An alternative would be to leave the PVR on Freeview and feed Freesat to the TV. In this method the Freeview EPG can be used for controlling the PVR. Note that the Freesat will only provide SD since it has Scart output. Since your PVR has an HDMI output it will either have HD or up-scaling, so the picture quality will be somewhat better.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Much clearer thank you Now we shall see what the install contractor makes of it and his/her suggestions

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 1

You seem to have selected the satellite replacement for Freeview which is designed for people who currently have analogue only TV reception and cannot expect digital Freeview after DSO. So, as such, you will not gain the real advantage of DSO which is the switch to HD. On satellite you can expect to have a much wider choice of HD (for example Sky already offer well over 50 HD channels) whereas terrestrial TV will be limited to 4 or 5 HD channels at this time.

You will need to have all HDMI connections to ensure the chain will transmit HD to the TV. SCART at any stage will ensure you watch at SD quality even if you have an HD source.

The real solution would be to invest in a Freesat HD PVR which costs about £250 for a decent one. This gives dual tuners via a dual LNB (so record and watch another is possible, or even record 2 and watch one previously recorded).

It comes down to your choice. For a TV below 37" then HD is hardly noticeable but at 40" or above HD is simply better.

Hope you enjoy your new set-up.

Like this post  
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Doing a bit more in depth research in the matter of running a dual signal to feed two devices I came across a device called Konig Satellite F Splitter This allegedly takes the single LNB signal and splits it to feed two devices.

If this is viable then the extra expense of a Dual LNB is avoided presumably. Any one had an experience of one

It is sold by Amazon and lists 43 favourable reports

here is a link enter link description here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-FC-2SPLT-ST-KN-Satellite-F-Splitter/dp/B000NHBNII/ref=pdcpce_0

All comments appreciated

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

This device will work if the purpose is to route to receivers in separate rooms, say, only one of which will be active at any given time.

Satellite transmissions are contained within four separate groups or blocks. The receiver passes a signal to the LNB apropriate to the selected channel to enable the LNB to output the correct block to the receiver. The four blocks are determined by selecting vertical or horizontal polarization and by selecting one of two local oscillator frequencies in the LNB. Hence it is not possible to achieve access to channels from two different blocks concurrently. There are several several reviews which allude to this. The positive reviewers are presumably only using one receiver at a time or possibly two receivers accessing one block.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you Natdoor

So the LNB is an 'active' device in the dish that sorts out the signal before the receiver/decoder gets it - is that right?

Unlike an antenna that is passive - and simply collects all signals for the tuner in the TV/Recorder to select from.

Do I understand that is so>

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Yes. The satellite transmissions are at about 10GHz, X band in radar terminology. The LNB contains a local oscillator which is mixed with the received signal to produce an I.F. frequency, which is much lower. It contains all programmes within the block. This signal is then processed in a similar manner in the receiver, to extract the selected channel.

Power to the LNB is supplied by the receiver, either 14V or 18V. The level determines which polarisation is selected. Additionaly a 22Khz tone is either also present or not to determine which of the two local oscillators is to be used to choose between the two blocks with chosen polarisation. It is not possible for one LNB to process two blocks concurrently. Two receivers can only access different channels contained with the same block, which is a major restriction for watching one and recording another.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you natdoor

All clear now-

Will wait for the installer to come and see what can be done over and above the basic one detector/box set up I understand they will put in a muyltidetector and leave one input 'dangling' ready for another box for the second device to be hooked up- but it will cost 50 quid to do it We shall see what prevails.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert