We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDMI plus ethernet cable

awest3

Likes # 0

Can someone explain this cable to me please. My assumption is that if I provide ethernet connection to one device, my TV for instance, then by using this cable to connect from the TV to a (suitable) Blu ray recorder / Sky box the capability to gain access to the internet (in whatever form) becomes available.

At the moment I have a small ethernet switch linked to my router from which I run two cables one to my TV (Viera cast) and one to my sky+ HD box (SKY anytime plus.) This works ok but if I could link the TV and Blu ray recorder and Sky box using one of these cable so much the better. I've looked on the internet but the explanations just confuse me.

Thanks Al

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

In order to use these cables the devices to which they connect must be HDMI plus Ethernet enabled. This is a new HDMI standard, 1.4, only released in 2010. You should check your manuals or contact the manufacturers to see if any of your devices are compliant. I don't know if many are.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger