We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sharp Sound Bar Issue

nickem09

Likes # 0

I have unfortunately purchased a Sharp HTSL50 sound bar with sub to go with my Samsung 37" LED TV. I tried to set up the system last night only to find that my TV neither has RCA output connectors or the apparently required 3.5mm audio out. Are there any options open to me here to get the sound bar and sub working? It seems in the absence of (ARC) technology I need to use a 3.5mm audio out from my TV, but the only leads supplied with the sound bar are a 3.5mm jack to jack and a 3.5mm jack to RCA, my TV has neither only an optical out, which will not connect to my soundbar sub? The reason for the 3.5mm jack connection is to control the volume of the soundbar with the tv remote. Can you get an adaptor to go from optical out to a 3.5mm jack? I have connected the supplied 3.5mm jack to the RCA connectors on my Blu-ray player to see if it works and everything works fine but at a very loud volume, which can't be adjusted. The connections on the soundbar sub are HDMI (in) HDMI (ARC)- which will not work on my TV and the 3.5mm Jack. The actual soundbar is connected to the sub via standard speaker cable connections. Any help will be appreciated, even if its to tell me that nothing will work and I need to send the soundbar back?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The TVs 3.5mm output may be marked 'headphones', what's the TV model number?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Would be nice to know what model Samsung??

Like this post
nickem09

Likes # 0

The model is ue37b6000vw...I apreciate your time.

Like this post
nickem09

Likes # 0

The model is ue37b6000vw...I apreciate your time.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You could use the scart socket converter

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Page 12 of the manual explains that you have a Mini Scart Cable supplied with the TV set. Click Here

Then your gonna need something like this to break the audio out.

Click Here

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

the simple method is to use a 3.5mm jack from the TV's headphone socket to the sound bar's 3.5mm jack.

If you have a spare HDMI lead it might work. Sharp refer to ARC technology. Samsung refer to Anynet. However both refer to CEC - the industry standard term. You can't do any harm by trying.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Quote OP

"I tried to set up the system last night only to find that my TV neither has RCA output connectors or the apparently required 3.5mm audio out."

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

Apologies for that, could have sworn I'd seen a 3.5mm headphone socket in the blurb for the TV.

If you want to be able to control the volume from the TV, I think you'll be stumped. All the suggestions made will deliver fixed volume signals to the sound bar. My suggestion would be to send it back and find something with its own volume control that will take an optical audio signal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014