We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Panasonic TX-P42S30B - connecting to internet

matthewowl

Likes # 0

I recently bought the Panasonic TX-42S30B TV and its working fine apart from one thing.... I have wireless internet at home. I have tried to connect the TV to my network by simply inserting a USB adaptor into one of the USB ports on the TV. I then go through the set-up menu and switch the network set-up to wireless but all I get is a message saying "No network adaptor found" - I have tried my own adaptor and then borrowed one from a friend but got the same message with both. The socket is definitely "live" because one of the adaptors has a light that comes on. I think I am missing something obvious - any ideas? Many thanks

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 1

Are you using the correct USB adaptor. From the Panasonic site you will need a Panasonic DY-WL10E-K wireless lan adaptor.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 1

Quote from another forum:

" Panasonic DY-WL10E-K wireless lan adaptors cost about £80. Broadbandbuyer have the Netgear WNDA3100 for a little over £33 delivered. The model is WNDA3100-100GES, it is v2, the serial number begins with 2D4, and the box comes with a sticker saying "Connects to VIERA TVs by Panasonic Co. Check for supported models at www.netgear.com.wifitv". It works very well with my TX-L42D25B, but I had to plug it in the side USB port."

It appears one of the USB ports on the Panasonic is USB2 whilst the other is USB1.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 1

The use of HomePlug/Powerline adapters is quite common. I use them! They have about the same speed as WiFi but give a more reliable connection. Also they are definitely plug'n'play, just plug them directly into a wall socket (NOT a flying lead) near your router and then another near your TV. Connect the first to the router and the other to the TV and all should be working. You don't need massively fast adapters for this application (I use 85 Mbps and can stream Sky Anytime+ and iPlayer plus browse at the same time without any obvious drop in speed on my 20 Mbps Sky Broadband connection).

You can also attach a Network Switch at the TV end and so provide a larger number of LAN outlets if that is useful in your home.

Like this post
matthewowl

Likes # 0

Thanks again. I'll get myself some Homeplug/Powerline kit.

I have another question related to the TV. This time its how to connect my dvd player, Thomson digital TV recorder and VCR (last one in Britain).

The TV has 3 HDMI ports, 3 usbs, 1 scart, a pair of "audio in", a pair of "audio out" and 3 "component" sockets. This might tell you more:-

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/2011+Plasma+TV/TX-P42S30B/Specification/7041183/index.html?trackInfo=true

The dvd player only has a scart socket, a pair of audio out (red & white) and two pairs marked video out/component.

The TV recorder has a couple of scarts and a pair of audio out sockets (red & white).

The VCR just has a scart.

I think i either need to buy a scart splitter or utilise the "audio out" sockets but I'm not sure which option would work best or what sort of cables i'd need to buy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Like this post
matthewowl

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses. Told you I was misssing something obvious! The info about the netgear adaptor is useful but I think i might buy something like this: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-tl-pa211kit-200mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10991859-pdt.html Any opinions?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...