We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Non HDD Blu-ray recorder

awest3
Resolved

Likes # 0

Does anyone make an Blu-ray dvd recorder without a HDD.? At the moment I use a Sky HD box and standard DVD recorder to copy my wife's craft programs to. She can then watch them on her computer.

I'd like a blu-ray recorder to watch films on but dont need a HDD and the subsequent extra costs and connections.

Thanks Al

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The point with Blue Ray is you can play standard DVD on it, as well as HDD, If you do not want HDD then what is the point of having a HDD machine.

A standard film recorded on a DVD will not play in HDD format, the same as an old film on TV will not be in HD format although it will play through a HD connection, and you may get a slightly better vision.

Terry

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I think we may be getting our terminology mixed up... By HDD I meant 'Hard Disk Drive' not High Definition which I think is usually abbreviated to HD not HDD.

Sorry for any confusion.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

"Does anyone make an Blu-ray dvd recorder without a HDD.?"

With respect, it will be pointless. Especially as the industry is moving towards On Demand Content.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Not pointless for me.. I already have a sky box for recordings and on demand content. !

What I don't want are extra cost for the HDD and the extra connections I would need.

The standard DVD recorder I have works perfectly to record the odd DVD. I would just like to add Blu-ray capability.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I think Beta has a valid point and many recorders now have a LAN connection for on demand video. The industry has standardised on a Freeviw Blu-ray with HDD recorder and I've not seen any freestanding Freeview Blu-ray recorders. So whilst you may have a niche demand for the latter these seem to be not offered. If you want to just watch pre-recorded Blu-ray films at 1080p then why not buy a Blu-ray player (which will do this) and keep your existing DVD Recorder for you wife's recordings.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Thanks for this...It's an option we'd thought about but did not want the extra device if at all possible. To use a Blu-ray HDD device I think would have to have extra connectivity e.g. the cables which I use for sky at the moment. I may be able to loop from one device to the other but as I already have On demand/sky/internet I was hoping that a simple Ble-ray recorder would be sufficient.

My other option is to move the dvd recorder into the dining room (already has sky and internet) and buy a blu-ray player. Not ideal as my wife likes to watch her craft programs, first off, in the lounge. So I would have to record all the craft programs (there are lots believe me) in both room initially then copy the ones she wants to watch on her computer to disk.

Thanks to eveyone for their comments, it looks like the recorder without HDD is not an option.. best laid plans etc. etc.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today