We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Humax TV - squashed screen with borders top and bottom on some widescreen dvds?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Humax tv here at the moment, and it runs great, but I have noticed with some dvds (when playing one or two tv series dvds in a test-eg trying out 'mrs browns boys series 1'), it plays in the wrong aspect ratio, so it plays squashed with borders top and bottom. Its ratio is 1:78:1 anamorphic, which could be the problem. I have tried every combination of screen ratio on my tvs control to the dvd players own ratio control settings, but nothing sorts the issue. If the ratio on the tv is set to 'automatic', the picture is perfect, but.. there are borders all over (left, right, top and bottom) and so the video plays in a small box on screen. There is no way to zoom in without losing this correct aspect ratio. Im pretty certain its the tv thats not understanding the aspect ratio of these dvds itself, as as it does not happen with movies (which I assume are usually 16:9).

These tv series dvds work fine on the pc, so as far as I can tell the black borders top and bottom are not part of the overall image. Has anyone any ideas on how to fix this issue, or does it look like a simple case of buying a better tv? I have another dvd player that I will test out tomorrow with the same humax tv. Thanks for any tips if possible

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Are you using HDMI or SCART connections?

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Widescreen TV is generally 16:9 whilst Movies (in Cinemascope type format) are 2.35:1 (ie much wider then widescreen TV by about 30% for the same picture height). So it depends upon what you are watching!

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Its a scart connection. The dvd box states that this dvd (amongst other bbc tv series output) is widescreen anamorphic. I havent come across many dvds at all with this issue. To be clearer, ignore the first post, lol. I can change the ratio only on the tv controller, but I can zoom in on the dvd controller. Thats about it. Heres an better example:- click here!

With this dvd labelled as widescreen (anamorphic 1.78:1) I cannot get the dvd image to fill out the entire screen. It would have been nice for the image to be able to fill out the entire widescreen tv as much as possible, unsquashed and stretched, even if that meant cutting off a small part of the image, whether horizontally or vertically. I would rather that than having to view it in a small box on screen. I know the squashed option (my first screenshot) doesnt bother some people, but I find it annoying, lol. thanks for the replies.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

It would hazard a guess that the DVD output is the problem as the TV seems to be behaving as it should. Humax users have their own forum at http://hummy.tv/forum/ and you might ask there.

Like this post  
D@ve

Likes # 0

Having seen the screenshots, I'm thinking the same as dms_05. It looks like the DVD player is outputting a 4:3 signal, hence adding excessive black borders to the top and bottom of your image. Have a look through your DVD Players settings (ie not those within the DVD movie) and see if you can change anything there.

If you have another TV or DVD player in the house, you could try swapping things around to confirm that is the case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014