We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Humax PVR - 9200T

Lebensohl

Likes # 0

No Humax dealer has been able to answer my question. When I record two different digital programmes at the same time I am able to watch a third digital programme albeit of a restricted range of the originally available channels. I thought the Humax had two tuners so how come it is able to receive three programmes at once? There is now only digital programmes in my area.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Set it up and see!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It says in the book 'Record 2 Freeview channels simultaneously (overlapping programmes) whilst watching another if its on the same DTT multiplex channel.' so your answer is yes - sometimes.

Like this post
mikwag

Likes # 0

The tuners tune to a MUX, which broadcasts multiple 'programmes' - e.g. BBC broadcasts BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 on Mux 1, whilst BBC4 is broadcast on Mux B. So, I assume (and this is me guessing ...), if you record both BBC1 and BBC4, then your 2 tuners are tuned to Multiplexes 1 and B. Therefore, it can record both BBC1 and BBC4, BUT will also receive all the other programmes that are also being broadcast on those multiplexes. Hence you could probably watch BBC2. However, programmes broadcast on the other multiplexes - e.g. ITV1 - which is broadcast on Mux 2, will not be available for viewing as these muxes are not being tuned in to.

I would think that if you had a powerful enough processor in the box, and fast enough recording media, you could theoretically record ALL channels being broadcast on one mux, allowing you to use one tuner to record all the BBC programmes broadcast on Mux 1, for example at the same time. This would mean that theoretically, you could record ALL programmes available with just 6/7 tuners (there being 7 muxes used in the UK.) At some time in the future, when storage is extremely cheap, and processor power huge, then this may well be the way this might work - record EVERYTHING, and then you could watch whatever you wanted - you have your own 'iplayer' etc. However, whether this would be a viable commercial box is another matter. Almost certainly, it will be a DIY option for some ....

Like this post
Alan_B

Likes # 0

You are able to view a third programme, whilst recording two other programmes - provided that it is being broadcast on the same "MUX" (multiplex) channel as one of the two programmes being recorded. http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/dtt_channels.html details which channels co-exist on each Mux. On my 9200T, channels which are unobtainable for viewing during recording of two other channels are grayed out. In answer to mikwag, the 9200T records the transport stream (ie complete Mux and therefore all channels within that Mux), then decodes the individual programmes on playback. That way the processor only needs decode the channel which is being viewed, not those being recorded. In theory, all channels recorded in a transport stream can be recovered from the stored file, but you need an external PC for that and file transfer from a 9200T is a bit messy and slow.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

If you record two different programs at once on the Humax, then view (at the same time) any Freeview channel you want using the TV's tuner, if it has a Freeview tuner.

This seems to be the obvious way to do things.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......