We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What type of TV aerial to buy?

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I am thinking of buying a widescreen TV for my bedroom (approx. 24 inch). However, I haven't bought a TV for a long time (approx. 15 years), so wanted some up to date information.

If I do go ahead and buy the TV, would I need to buy a separate aerial? I presume this would be called an internal aerial?

Also, wouldn't it be better if I get the lead from the external aerial (on top of the roof), and attach it to the back of the TV?

Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Better if you attach to the external aerial

I have one connected in a bedroom to a loft aerial but get occasional freezes and that's in a good reception area.

A good site to give you lots of info on aerials and connections to various TV equipment is Jim's Aerials

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you are in the London area it is having transmitter change-over in April when the analogue is disappearing and digital altered. Things may alter then so only make major changes after that date.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have (at 74) installed two external digital tv aerials on my roof. A good aerial is about £30 and do ensure cable is well connected, If you are very close to a transmitter a loft aerial may suffice.If your existing signal is good you could get a splitter so a bedroom socket could come from the downlead from the outside aerial - a straight splitter or a signal boost type. If you have a good signal a simple splitter may suffice.

also see here:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/MainIndex/AerialsIndex/AerialsTv/index.html

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Dont be conned into paying more for a so called digital Aerial,theres no such thing.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

tullie. Sorry , in my post I meant normal aerials , not specifically digital.I have two as it is easier than a splitter due to the geography of my house.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Clearly there is no such thing as a digital aerial because an aerial responds to the RF carrier regardless of the form of modulation. However, I believe the term is loosely used to describe an antenna with adequate bandwidth to receive all Freeview channels. In some areas narrow band aerials were fitted for analogue and are not appropriate for reception of all digital channels. Hence being told one needs a digital aerial is just a way of saying that a different model is required. It does not necessarily mean that one is being encouraged to buy something which is unnecessary.

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

You have missed loads of TV in the 15 years...

Your existing external ariel would be best, as long as it points in the right direction, just compare it with nearby ones...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing