We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVR to DVR transfer

davecooper

Likes # 0

Some months ago, the power supply on my Sharp DVR died leaving me with about 50 hours of material which I couldn't watch. Cut to a used one from ebay, a disk swap and all's good again. However, in ther meantime, I had bought myself a new Sagem 320Gb machine which I have been using since.

Ideally, I would like to transfer the recordings from the old machine to the new one. However, after a trawl through the net, it seems this is not possible. However, it seems that all the negative answers are based around some form of digital transfer. My question is, is there a way to transfer in analogue, in real time, i.e. play back the recordings on the old machine and record them on the new one? Any small loss in quality is not an issue.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I would have thought you should be able to do this via the SCART sockets, but without the handbooks I cant be sure.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

I have them hooked up with a SCART now. Obviously the old DVR will output via the SCART but I am not sure whether the new DVR will record via a SCART input. I am hunting for the handbook for the new machine at the moment and this may tell me. If someone came back and said it was impossible, I probably wouldn't bother trying.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

However, after a trawl through the net, it seems this is not possible

what model sharp?

unlikely to can set the pvr to record from scart

most pvrs use a linux base system and the fies are saved as .ts files

with, the drive coupled to your pc

boot from a live linux cd lets the pc read the disk you can then copy the files to somewhere on your machine.

dothe same with the sagum drive coupled and copy the files to the sagum(opening the sagum may invalidate the guarentee)

the problem may be that the sagum may not recognise the sharp files.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

I think I knew the answer to this question before I asked it. I will just have to keep the old machine connected up for a while. After all, if I loop the aerial through this box as well, I can record two programmes at the same time. Just concerned that the power supply on this one might go the same way as the first one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room