We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD recorder and Sky

wongie3

Likes # 0

Hi, Sorry if this is a silly question but I have Very limited understanding of technical things so I really need some help. At the moment I have Sky in my bedroom (the main Sky and box thing being in the front room). At the moment I have a DVD recorder attached but I would really like a DVD/HDD recorder instead. So what I am wondering is if I buy a HDD recorder but it already has freeview built in what will that do to my Sky signal? as I would like my Sky signal to outweigh the freeview (if that is possible). If that is possible could anyone recomend a good DVD/HDD recorder or a good HDD recorder. To be honest I wouuld like something basic as I know I will not use anything complicated. Any advise would be great Thank You

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have Sky in my bedroom, fed from the box in the living room, and also a normal HDD freeview recorder as well,

The freeview recorder should plug into a different input on your bedroom tv and will have no effect on the Sky signal.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

On the TV, there is a button to select the source of the signal. Just select the appropriate one. On mine it is "TV" for Freeview and "HDMI" for Sky+HD, but others will vary no doubt.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

You should have more than one scart socket on the TV. If the Sky box is plugged into the appropriate one--then switching on the Sky box will auto switch the TV to the Sky. If it doesn't then try another TV scart socket. The TV manual normally shows them as either Aux.1. 2. or 3 OR AV1.2. or 3. The HDD can go into one of the others and you will have to manually select its input from the TV menu.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...