We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting a Laptop to a TV?

sunny17

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a spare large(44'') sony rear projection tv and am trying to connect it to my laptop (Compaq 610) What i have done is connected my laptop via VGA to a component video using this Cable Then connected the component video to this scart adapter unfortunately it doesn't work, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
sunny17

Likes # 0

Forgot to add i'm on windows 7 OS

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Never tried it myself as i don't have a laptop ,but if you have an HDMI port on the laptop try that or even usb port.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

The VGA cable is producing component video click here. Scart does not inherently support component video but does support RGB and composite video. In order to be able to use component with Scart, the RGB interface connections are used but displaying equipment needs to have the non-standard processing facility. Some TVs will have the facility and it is usually selected via the menu. If your TV does not have this for Scart, are there any other inputs which may be used?

Like this post
sunny17

Likes # 0

It has composite video and s-video. Thanks for the replys i think i will get one of these

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

What connectors are available on the back of your TV?

I connect my netbook to my Sony 40" LCD with a high quality VGA cable (as I'm displaying at 1920*108 resolution) as both have standard VGA connections. Low quality VGA cables won't handle the high resolution bandwidth, they reduce the display resolution dramatically.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...