We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Receiving other satalites on sky receiver?

ANORAK_IAN

Likes # 0

If I wanted to use my Sky satalite receiver to receive other satalites than astra, what would I have to do (besides turn my dish or add an lnb)?
Re tune my reciver?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

It is apparently possible to get some channels from other satellites using a Sky box. Click Here enter link description here. For serious viewing from other satellites a free to air box is recommended.

There will almost certainly be problems with the Sky dish. The target area for other satellites is mainland Europe so the signal level will be low in UK, usually requiring a larger dish. To continue being able to receive Astra and anoter satellite with one dish you will need offset LNBs and receiver controlled switching between them.

Like this post
ANORAK_IAN

Likes # 0

Thak you for the link, very helpful.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

A Sky Receiver can be used to receive other channels from other satellites provided things like bit rate and FEC are handled by the Sky receiver. You simply go to the 'ADD CHANNELS' feature in the menu and enter the details. However you will also need to move the dish and as already commented the Sky mini-dish is on the small size for multi satellite reception. I've used a 60cm dish across Europe (an 80 cm might have been better) but as it was a motorised installation on my motorhome I didn't have much option.

Generally the majority of English language programmes are already on the Astra 28 degs position but some foreign stations dual radiate some programmes in the local language as well as the original language (ie American) so you can source material that way.

A cheap FTA receiver might well be easier to use than Sky receiver and can be bought very cheaply if you shop around. Aldi and Lidl occasionally offer these for about £30.

Like this post
ANORAK_IAN

Likes # 0

Thank you for the info.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Loads of info read this lot and you wont need TV for months!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September