We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

graphics card for PC to access net for smart TV

markcomp
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an older PC running XP that I would like to use to bring the internet to our TV. I would like to connect via HDMI and so am thinking about a new graphics card. I don't need a tuner as the signal comes via a satellite dish and box. what should I be looking for and does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is it essential that you use the HDMI?

Most modern TVs have a PC input (VGA) just use a monitor cable and to connect sound an audio 3.5 male jack to jack to connect from headphone / speaker out on PC to PC audio in on TV

Like this post
markcomp

Likes # 0

HDMI is not essential, just neater and only 1 cable

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
markcomp

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your comments and feedback, would I be correct in assuming that you think I am wasting my cash looking at a new graphics card and should just cable it up as suggested by Fruitbat. Better to spend it on a decent (blueray?) DVD drive?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Now I understand

If you want the best picture available from a blueray player in the PC then yes you do need HDMi cable and a good graphics card.

but if you do not have a blue ray player in the PC then the cheapest option is to cable the PC with a standard VGA cable and buy a separate Blueray player thus saving on the cost of a suitable graphics card

Like this post  
markcomp

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat, that seems the best option. Much appreciated

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...