We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

3D Television Programmes

Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Both of my LCD televisions are capable of 3D display, but there seem to be few if any actual programs transmitted in the format.

I was looking around for a pair of the special glasses and discovered that they range in price from a tenner or so, all the way up to fifty quid.

Is it worth shelling out for a pair, or are they really only suitable for Blu-Ray DVD use?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Not many programs to choose from, make sure you get the correct type of glasses.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Baffled by the choice!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I can't help you specifically.

But, the other day I ventured into PC World in Bangor, North Wales and found a demo of 3D going on using an LG TV. Having never seen 3D before and being rather sceptical, I sat on the sofa in front of the TV to watch.

To say that I was blown away by the effects would be putting it mildly. I do realise that the demo being shown was specially made to demonstrate the effects to their best advantage, but I actually put out my hand to touch a Harrier flying past an aircraft carrier!!!

My only regret is that my wife saw it too. Her remark "Wouldn't the grandchildren enjoy it when they come round" filled me with terror - so we left, rapidly!!

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

as an old grumpy (67), i think 3d was a novelty just to get people to spend money on a new tv,i know it's very good but look how much 3d contents out there,not a lot. as i usually say "it's a deceased aquatic bird". in other words a dead duck.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

mole44 'dead duck' is 2D, for 3D you need 'dead daffy duck'

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Only decent broadcast 3D content is available on Sky and you need to take their top rate tariff to receive it for free.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

wiz-king agreed,still little content though and different glasses standard. reminds me of the betamax vhs standard (I'm that old) or for our younger members blue ray fight, when standards are sorted out i'll maybe just maybe get one. then maybe not

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Note....I said I was impressed by 3D - I did not say I was going to buy it!!!!

Mole44. I'm older than you, and probably grumpier too!!

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

ams4127 i`m 67 and if you got gold for grumpy i'd get silver, thank goodness your not spending your wealth,makes me shudder to spend my money.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

mole44 I am not a spring chicken either - my first answer-phone used 5" reels of tape for the messages an a couple of 'small' 3" reels to record the prompts, it kept the bedroom/office warm with all its valves glowing away. I still have a Betamax video recorder and I think the quality was better than VHS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...