We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sky+ HD Box & HDMI

LimestoneRock
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was running an ordinary Sky+ box through my domestic system but bought a 500GB Sky+ HD box very recently (without contract). I have installed it OK without any problems but have come up against an important adverse feature affecting me which will probably lead to my replacing with my previous Sky+ Box. With that, and based on the manner in which my house was set up when bought new in 1994, I could get TV (including SKY) in every room of the house. You could not change the channel on Sky but just watch what was being shown on the main set. Before terrestrial TV was stopped in August in my locality, you could of course get any terrestrial TV station in any room. With the SKY+ HD set up requiring HDMI, I have now discovered that SKY programmes will no longer be seen on the TVs in the other rooms and unless the TV sets in those rooms have Freeview, the TV will not be able to show any programmes at all. That is unless anyone has any suggestions as to overcome this problem. I would very much welcome views/suggestions.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I quite happily share my Sky HD signal around the house. Each rom has a coax aerial point.

Coax from the RF Out on the HD box to an amplifier then into a coax socket. All TV's connected to any other socket can receive the Sky output

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response Bremner. I do have the coax aerial points in each room and the coax outlet from the Sky+ box goes into a metal 3-way adapter point - I guess this is the amplifier to which you refer, although I am not sure.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Have you actually turned the RF output of the Sky HD box 'ON'?

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay in responding but thank you for your suggestion dms_05. I must admit that I did not check whether the RF output was actually ON - you have to search for this heading in the SKY set up as it is not apparent. I know with my existing SKY+ box you need to go into SYSTEM, PICTURE and then 01 and SELECT. In view of my problems, I sold the SKY+HD box through an advert in local rag and have no means now of checking. I did contact SKY tech guys and was told that it could not be done but I don't think they were with it as first of all they had to refer upwards to a senior technician and then suggested I used a scart lead between Box & TV, not realising that the BOX has only one scart connector which is used for my DVD recorder/player. I reckon that your suggestion would have resolved my problem particularly as bremner had it working, so again, thanks for your help.

Like this post
Payroll2

Likes # 0

the only other thing you might have to bear in mind is what rf channel the sky box is broadcasting on as it might clash with the channels freeview are transmitting on. the rf channel can be remapped by going into the installers menu and lowering the frequency number.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Payroll2

I am no expert but surely the only time what you say could be a problem is if Freeview was also being transmitted through the RF out and that could only occur if the aerial was plugged into the RF in on the Sky HD box.

The OP has not suggested this is the case.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Will certainly bear in mind for the future, many thanks.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Just to up-date the situation - having taken in the views expressed in this forum and checked the configuration of my existing Sky+ Box, I decided to buy another second hand Sky+HD Box having disposed of the first. I ensured the RF OUT was enabled (ON) but this in itself did not cure the problem. However, I then switched the RF OUT/Satellite Channel from 68 to 47 (that showing on my existing Sky+ Box) and BINGO!! Everything works and the TV programmes can be seen in every room again. Thank you everyone for your contribution and help in resolving this matter.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September