We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blackberry's connection problems

beynac

Likes # 0

I am puzzled by the recent problems with Blackberry. Why should a server used by Blackberry cause all these problems? I am fairly new to smart phones and not sure of the way everything connects.

I have a PC (HP) which uses Microsoft Windows as its operating system and connects to the internet and email through my ISP (BT). If BT's server goes down, I realise that I will not be able to connect to the internet or get my emails. If HP (the PC manufacturer) or Microsoft (the OS supplier) has a problem, then I would not be affected.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace phone, which uses Google's Android as its OS, on a Vodafone contract. At home, I connect to the internet and my email servers using my BT wireless connection. If I am at home, I would expect to be able to connect using Vodafone if my BT WiFi went down. Elsewhere, I would expect to be unable to connect if Vodafone's system was down (or if I could not get a signal). I would not expect any problems if Samsung or Google had a problem (except, obviously for my Gmail account). Surely, I should still be able to connect using Vodafone's network.

All of the articles I have read seem to imply that, using a Blackberry, everything is routed via what is essentially Blackberry's server. This seems illogical to me, so I'm obviously missing something. Please could someone enlighten me and remove this gap in my knowledge.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....using a Blackberry, everything is routed via what is essentially Blackberry's server. This seems illogical to me, so I'm obviously missing something."

BlackBerry became famous by providing a fast and secure 'push' email service via a BlackBerry mobile phone for business users. The email service hasn't changed, but it's available to anyone who buys a BlackBerry, rather than just business users.

Once you've set up your email account information on your BlackBerry it periodically looks at your POP mailbox (every 15 minutes by default), and if it finds inbound messages it 'pushes' them to your phone via the BlackBerry mail servers. These servers are secure, and trusted by millions of BlackBerry users - or at least they were, until recently.

What has happened over the past week or so is that the BlackBerry mail servers have crashed, or at least some of them have. Blackberry runs separate servers for business and personal users, and it's the personal servers that have been at fault. There's been a good deal of understandable dissatisfaction amongst BlackBerry users (I'm one myself), but it will probably soon blow over. BlackBerry phones are so good that there's a considerable amount of consumer loyalty, and this should stand RIM (the BlackBerry parent company) in good stead at an awkward time. The company has been struggling to conquer the home-user market for some time.

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

Thanks for that explanation FE. My understanding is that Blackberry users' internet access was also unavailable. Is this also routed via RIM's servers? I cannot see any reason for this, unless they cache a lot of pages. This is something which I know that Virgin did when they were my ISP. It could be annoying as, in some circumstances, the latest page was not available until they refreshed their cache. IIRC the updates for AdAware were one of my main problems with this system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite