We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview recorder has died

davecooper

Likes # 0

My Sharp Freeview recorder has completely died, taking with it about 40 hours of recorded programs. It looks like a power supply problem, and from previous experience, a new board would cost as much as a new recorder. Being a fairly early PVR, the machine did have a few minor glitches and I was considering getting a new recorder. I may still do this, however, is there any way of retrieving the programs from the hard disk in the old machine? It looks to be a fairly standard Western Digital HDD. One option I have considered is buying an identical used one from eBay and swapping the drives. Any advice would be welcome.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

What format are the programs stored in on a hard disk recorder? Are they in a format that a PC recognises?

Very unlikely. I had a similar situation with a similar type of machine and the HD format was not one that my PC could read and eventually had to admit defeat in trying to recover the recorded programmes. I also had a lot of problems in reformatting the drive to enable its reuse. I think I had to do it about 5 times before I had a successful format, but then it became a useful external drive in the caddy that I had it installed in.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

Borrowed a IDE/USB caddy from a friend. Unfortunately, my PC does not see the device at all. This is with both the DVR HDD and a another known good HDD. The HDD spins up and the heads can be heard operating, however, plug it into the PC and there is absolutely no recognition that any external device has been connected. The caddy is brand new but could be at fault I suppose.

In the meantime, I am waiting for a new DVR power supply to arrive in stock with a supplier. There are absolutely no signs of any component failure on the PSU and without a circuit diagram, fault finding would be time consuming to say the least. A refurbished PSU is only £20 anyway.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'A refurbished PSU is only £20 anyway'

Can't argue with that price!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad