We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview recorder has died

davecooper

Likes # 0

My Sharp Freeview recorder has completely died, taking with it about 40 hours of recorded programs. It looks like a power supply problem, and from previous experience, a new board would cost as much as a new recorder. Being a fairly early PVR, the machine did have a few minor glitches and I was considering getting a new recorder. I may still do this, however, is there any way of retrieving the programs from the hard disk in the old machine? It looks to be a fairly standard Western Digital HDD. One option I have considered is buying an identical used one from eBay and swapping the drives. Any advice would be welcome.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Actually yes. I did this for a friend of mine a while back, but it's a little fiddly. Assuming the hdd is okay, you will need to remove it from the unit.

The format that your files are recorded in will depend on the end result. I connected a DVD re-writer to the system and copied the files across that Way.

Your best bet is to buy a caddy from Amazon or the like first and copy to PC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Drive-Caddy-Cost-Black/dp/B000I2JU6A

pretty basic but know need to spend a fortune. You will need a third party application to convert / copy to DVD, but post back an I will point you in the right direction.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. I only have a laptop so not easy to use caddy. Do you know whether there is a device that takes a standard hard drive and converts it to an external USB drive? I could use it as extra storage once I had transferred the recorded stuff to PC.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

Googled it and found that there are a number of IDE to External USB converters out there at not too many £££, so this may be the way to go.

Like this post
mobing

Likes # 0

you really don't need expensive device ,just fit for use is ok !

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have a Sharp TU-R160H. This died a couple of months ago. I took the cover off and, on the power board, one of the electrolitic capacitors was very slightly bulging on the top. Made a note of the size and capacity. Popped into Maplins. 58 pence later I had a new cap. Unsoldered the old one and replaced with new. All of 5 mins work and it's back to normal.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

Same machine. I wish there had been something like that on my board, however, it didn't matter how long I stared at it, nothing seemed obvious. I will have another look though.

What format are the programs stored in on a hard disk recorder? Are they in a format that a PC recognises?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

davecooper

It will depend on the machine, the one i rescued the data from was a pretty basic Bush model. The first thing to do is to connect the hard drive from the machine via a USB enclosure .

You won't damage anything by doing this, and we will then have an idea of what format the recorded material is in.

Post back when you've done that and we can take it from there. A cheap enclosure with a USB connection should not cost much, as I posted above.

One caveat: You will need one which has it's own power supply.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

dave - the one on mine was about 10mm in diameter and was (if I remember rightly) 100microfarad. The bulge was very slight - just enough to look different to the others. As its the same machine, if you get stuck I'll lift the lid off and note the position. What gave me the clue was I had a similar problem with a iTouch player. Googling it showed a lot had had the same problem, and it was a similar cap that had failed. Thought it worth a look when the same happened to the tuner.

Like this post
davecooper

Likes # 0

Gonna sort one out over the next few days. I'll report back once its all up and running. Cheers.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry missed a nought - should have read 1000micro.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...