We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon compatible lenses

lenjam
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am about to purchase a Canon SLR 550D (Body Only) and wish to add a zoom (28-105) and macro lens.What lens ref/mount do I need to stick to (EF,non Canon incl, etc) I have been informed right or wrongly? that some Canon lenses are not interchangeable depending on what model you have Thanks in advance

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

You can use both EF and EF-S lenses on the body.

EF-S S stands for "short back focus", which means that the rear element of the lens is closer to the image sensor than on regular 35mm, they are made for EOS cameras with APS-C sensors.

EF lenses can be mounted on EF-S bodies but EF-S lenses cannot be mounted on EF bodies.therefore will not fit more expensive pro bodies like the 5D's or 1D's.

If you plan to stick with EOS range then no problem, if you want to progress to pro bodies then think about buying EF lenses.

Buying lenses is expensive and you need to do your homework to make sure you are getting a lens that is going to do what you want, read reviews on-line then always try to go to a shop and ask to try a lens on your body and take a few shots with it.

Like this post  
lenjam

Likes # 0

Thanks cycoze,that's the answer I was looking for ...may seem like a 'no brainer' but could not find a definitive answer anywhere on the net

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added