We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview box not receiving all channels! Help please!

gazmix

Likes # 0

Hi

My dad lives on outskirts of city & the old freeview box he has works ok, but doesn't show sky news, which is ok.

I have just moved to a city center flat & borrowed the freeview box, did a fresh installation & it found all channels except the BBC channels 1-4, c-beebies & BBC News.

There is a big satellite dish on the side of the flats, but assume this isn't the signal receiver for the freeview box, so there must be a communal aerial. I hear u can do manual setup & add 22 to the setup, i shall try this, but what else can i do. Should a newer freeview box work?

Thanks

Like this post
OLDJACK

Likes # 0

Check with your neighbours to see if they have the same problem...make sure they are on Freeview not Freesat!! If they don't then beg or borrow a freeview box and give that a whirl.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

I will check with neighbours!

I have a newer freeview box from the free digital switchover scheme, i will try that too.

What do you think about factory reset or adding the manual setup number?

thanks

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Periodicly you have to rescan as channels change, new ones come in old ones are lost.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

It may depend upon your local transmitter. If your signal comes from the main regional transmitter you should receive all the Freeview channels, however if you are receiving from a local relay the channels will be much reduced. In any case you should always receive BBC1 and ITV1.

If you have recently been through DSO (Digital Switch Over) then you may still be in an interim stage where some of your Freeview channels are on reduced power because they could interfere with analogue channels in adjacent areas that haven't yet gone through DSO. But you should still receive BBC1 and ITV1.

DSO has been a long drawn out mess. We are years into the switchover but still have another year to go before it's finalised. Some countries did it for everyone on the same day (even big countries like Spain with all it's mountains!) so quite why the Government of the day decided on our 5 year switch over is anyones guess but it has provided a lot of people with well paid public sector jobs over a very long period.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Do a factory reset.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert