We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC DVD Drive suddenly stopped reading homemade DVDs!

Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Most unusual problem. Out of the blue DVD Drive in PC no longer plays or reads home made DVDs (movies mainly). These are movies I’ve burnt using the very same DVD Drive. Checked these DVDs on standalone players and they work fine and vice versa commercial DVDs play fine on the PC.

Haven’t downloaded or run anything unusual in the last 24 hours.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Update

Other homemade media does work on the PC Drive (which is PBDS +-RW DH 16WIS). The disk in question is a Sony -RW and I created it yesterday!!

How very bizarre?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

and there's your answer. Your drive is +RW and will not read -RW

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

No the DVD Drive is + and -R/RW compatible as indicated. I thought I'd figured out the answer as the disk in question was scratched so I thought that may have been the reason (i.e PC Drive more fussy than DVD player). However I tried another brand new Sony -RW and it recognised it and allowed me to burn a movie onto it. When I then tried to play that same disk it wouldn't play it!!!

Seems that it reads blank Sony -RW media but does not play them. This makes it frustrating as you can't re-use them even though they are RW!!! (Can't use em in standalone DVD recorder as that doesn't recognise em.

Propose to check with Sony website.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Some drives just will not recognise some brands of DVD. Don't know why but had this myself. Expensive brand did the same as yours but a 50 pack from Woolies worked perfectly.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Thanks

How very bizarre. Previousl used Sony +RW and they were fine! Will find another brand.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...