We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Compact Digital Cameras...

Trepan
Resolved

Likes # 0

...should I consider for photographing documents - these are old documents that for a variety of reasons are not allowed to be photocopied - many are quite small print (6/8 point) some are large plans in multiple colours (surveyors plans of underground workings)

A few product suggestions would be helpful and within a budget range of £150/200

Like this post
Trepan

Likes # 0

No opinions then?

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 1

Buy a cheap camera and invest in a pair of side lights.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 1

It isn't that easy to copy documents like this. You need to have some means of getting the image plane of the camera dead square with the document, small deviations can produce large perspective distortions in the image and using perspective correction software might blur the small print.

With a £200 budget it might be better to get a profesional photographer or printer to copy them.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

If you want to experiment, get hold of a large wire framed lamp shade and strip the covering off it, or get one from a craft shop without any covering - place the camera on the top pointing down through the opening, mark off the picture area at the bottom. Place the lamshade on the document and fire away. For large documents, move the lampshade along, taking a series of slightly overlapping photos and then stitch them together in Microsoft's ICE.

You wouldn't really benefit from an expensive camera, as long as it will focus down to the distance you require, you wouldn't benefit from a resolution greater than 8 megapixels and the file sizes will be enourmous for a large plan. Self-timer or remote shutter release for rock steady shots would be a bonus. See what they've got in Cash Converters or eBay.

Flash would be no good, the light would bounce straight back up through the lens, you'd need to fit some kind of side lights, angled down at about 45degs so that the light is reflected off the document and away from the lens. At least two, for even lighting.

Just a thought. It might work :)

Like this post  
Trepan

Likes # 0

Thanks onionskin for this i will give it a go with my daughters Sony Cybershot. I like the 'lampshade' idea not sure if the National Archive will though:) :)

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 1

I'm wondering if you'd get better results using a film camera and scanning the reulting slides or negatives.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

*resulting!

Like this post
Trepan

Likes # 0

I have in the past used my Canon SLR but the results were quite poor hence digital.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia