We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV: Freeview box and DVD player.

the hick

Likes # 0

I now have Freeview digital, via a Sagem box, with SCART cable to EXT 1 of TV set (make JVC, CRT, 16 yrs old.) The DVD player is connected by SCART to EXT 2 of TV. However, when try to play DVD, I switch to EXT 2, and the Freeview broadcast is still on screen, although without the sound. I have to switch off the Sagem box to watch DVD properly. I feel, this should not be necessary. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated, thank you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tried it the other way round?

freeview in scart 2 and DVd in scart 1?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You can get SCART adapters tsuch that only one male output goes to the TV and they have several female inputs (DVD etc) . Some will switch autonatically to the input selected, others have a manual switch.In either case the aerial should go first to the Freeview box then out to the TV's aerial in.

Like this post
the hick

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, tried this, makes a difference, DVD picture and sound are there, but image keeps sliding left to right across the screen. john bunyan, the aerial goes to freeview box then to TV aerial input, and SCART to ext 1 on the TV. Perhaps I should try a different SCART cable. Thankyou for your replies.

Like this post
TheAtheist

Likes # 0

I had similar problem with a new bluray DVD connecting to old CRT telly.

The bluray was working but no picture. the bluray only had RCA sockets so I got an adapter cable that was RCA to SCART. I made sure I got the cable with a switch for changing the signal from output to input.

Basically you're going out from DVD (RCA) and in to telly (SCART). That did the trick.

I've also noticed: once you put the aerial lead to the freebox and a SCART to your telly; you don't need another aerial lead to the telly. SCART will pass the signal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015