We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iphone 5

biren22

Likes # 0

iphone5 Will it have a completely new design or just be a slightly modified version of the iPhone 4 with enhanced parts and various tweaks? Will there be a smaller, lower-cost iPhone. As a reminder, the 20 items in the list are ordered from least important to most in a reverse countdown. I've also included what I think are the odds of Apple actually implementing each request. iphone 5

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Not really allowed to say much, similar in design, enhanced features. shhh :))

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

I think if Apple do not make the screen on the next gen iPhone to be at least 4.1-4.2 inch, then this is going to be a mistake. The reason I say this is that the top end smartphones at present, have 4.2 and 4.3 inch screens, and for Apple to be in-line with these, I feel they need to make their next gen iPhone screen the same size.

I for one will not be upgrading my iPhone 4 (when my contract is up in a couple of months) to the next gen iPhone, if the screen size hasn't increased. A more powerful/dual core processor would not be enough for me to warrant getting it.

If the upgrades on the next gen iPhone are only 'tweaks', then I feel this will be a very lazy upgrade from Apple, considering that the iPhone 4 will be getting on for 15 months old in September, and this is more than enough time to see what the competition has on it, and then come up with something pretty much equal or better.

I have been looking at a Samsung Galaxy S2 recently, which if I got it, would be my first Android handset. But I have to admit, I really love the interface of the iPhone/iOS, it just feels such a smooth, finished product. Don't get me wrong, I found the S2 to be very easy to find my way around, but the first time I picked an iPhone up (3GS), this was the only phone that I was able to find the various things I was looking for, without having to ask for help, basically, everything was instinctively where I thought it would be.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months, has Apple really need to come up with something very special to equal or beat the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S2.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Personally I would like to see the 5th gen iPhone go back to the shape of the iPhone3 as it was much more comfortable to hold. The iPad has gone that way and I hope the phone follows suit. The biggest bugbear I find with the iPhones is the lousy iTunes rigmarole and I would be only too pleased to go to a new mobile with a much easier music interface.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

I've got to admit. I've always liked iTunes, yeah you've got to use it to put everything on the iPhone (even if your putting your own stuff on off of CD or what you have on your computer), but once I had familiarised myself with iTunes and seen what I could do with it, I found it a fairly user friendly and useful program. Another thing I like about iTunes is, you do pretty much everything under one roof.

You want to install apps:

Its done with iTunes.

You want to update the software on your iPhone:

Again its done in iTunes.

For me, doing/having pretty much everything under one roof, I find very useful.

I agree with you Condom, the iPhone 3 range are an easier phone to hold than the iPhone 4, it will be interesting to see if Apple will follow suit with the iPad's shape in the next gen iPhone.

One of the things I would miss if I were to move from the iPhone, would be the iPod, arguable its the easiest and most user friendly music/media player around. I listened to some music on a Samsung Galaxy S2 in my local phone shop, and I have to admit, I don't have my music on loud, but I needed to put the volume up to 14 (the volume on the S2 only went to 15) and I wouldn't say it was up to the volume level I have on my iPhone/iPod, perhaps there was some sound setting present on the S2 inhibiting the volume level, I don't know if this was the case has I didn't play around with it long enough to find out.

With all the other smartphones around at present, the next gen iPhone is going to have to be something special for me to upgrade to it when my contract is up. If it isnt, then I will probably move to one of the high end Android handsets such as the S2. Personally though I prefer the HTC's, when it comes to Android, I just think there a nice designed and well made handset, compared to the Galaxy S2 which in my opinion is a cracking handset but really plasticey for the price of it. The thing I find with HTC's are, they are a little behind the likes of the Galaxy S2 with their specs. A HTC with Galaxy S2 specs, now that would be very tempting : )

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Coming with or soon after is iOS5 that will to some degree break the connection between the iPhone / iPad and iTunes. Apple Link

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

Yeah it will be a welcome change been able to sync to iTunes wirelessly, it's long over due.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made