We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New ipod user - joining network problem

sheila.weston
Resolved

Likes # 0

How do I find my password for 'joining' my hifi network. My net

My network box is a ThomsonE4FE35 and when the screen cmes up inviting me to 'join'. I put in my TalkTalk password and nothing happens. It does, however, seem to be connected to a Belkin54g network.

Many thanks.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

When you set up a router, usually you protect the wifi net by applying a secure password, otherwise passers by could log on via your network. The password is not to do with talk talk but generated by you with the router. If you are connecting to a Belkin , I wonder if you are connecting to a neighbours unsecued network. Does your Thompson E4FE35 show on the i pod as an option? If so I hope you have your network password.(Not the talk talk one)

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply - it allowed me to phrase the right question of my neighbour. He confirms that his network is a Belkin, without a password, and he doesn't mind me using it. Does it matter if passers-by log on to his network? What are the implications of allowing this, because it seems much easier?

An acquaintance set up the network connections for me. I have tried various passwords which I might have used, but none work,so I will get back to him, although it may 'cost me'. Before I do, have you any idea of how I can find the password myself?

Yes, Thomson is shown as an option.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Your Neighbour is very foolish to have an unsecured network as passers by or others could use his net and even hack into his PC. If you cannot remember your own Network box password, you can usually reset it to factory settings and re install with a new password (WAP secure). Have a look at your Router manual or talk to your ISP. AS long as your neighbour is happy for you to use his network, for you it is just like using any other free wi fi.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks, John. Yes, I thought that the unsecured network sounded dangerous.

For the record, I have now solved the problem - after installing a new router which TalkTalk sent for my new contract, and having the same trouble.

I didn't realise that the keys on the 'keyboard' of the wifi page on the ipod were lower case and one had to press the little arrow at the left each time that you wanted an upper case letter. All connected now!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...