We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital signal anomaly

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

A short while ago I posted with a question with regard to a TV digital box installation link text; all has gone well but I have an anomaly which hopefully someone can clear up for me.

The digital TV suffers from a poor signal on the ITV channels (ITV 1, 4, 5 and the associated +1 offerings) only; all other channels are good; this is from the signal strength indicator which is incorporated into the TV setup menu. As a result I get 'pixelation' (picture break up) on occasion. However, when viewed through the digital box and using the RF loop aerial these channels are perfect with no break up of picture when those through the TV digital receiver are doing so.

The aerial source for both TV and digital box is the same so logically it must be the sensitivity of the equipment fed. Is this a known 'feature' of some equipment, a result of transmission power or a combination of things? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks in anticipation.

1: http://Another digital changeover question

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Might be johndrew's problem, but I don't think there's an analogue transmitter left within 100 miles of here.

What we've got is all we're getting!

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

morddwyd - not necessarily. Some digital Mux's will only be increased to full power on the very final final DSO day. Like you we have no adjacent analogue TX's but still the Mux on Ch 49 is at 25% of it's final power. Odd but true! Even in analogue areas most people now have digital sets of one type or another and the need to worry about the final 5% of analogue viewers is effecting the 95% who are DSO'd. However this was the system set up many years ago when no one expected people to switch so quickly and easily to digital. So it' s still worth waiting for the final set of changes.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

dms_05

I had not considered the particular scenario you outlined above, but that could be exactly why only one set of channels (ITV) is affected. I guess I shall have to sit back and see what happens when the analogue transmitters are turned off; hopefully the signal will be boosted and the TV will register the increase in signal strength.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

dms_05

Not really a question of adjacent analogue transmitters.

I don't think there are any left in the whole country.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......