We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External GPS Galaxy S

morddwyd

Likes # 0

My Galaxy S will sees my Holox BT 321 Bluetooth GPS receiver, and pairs with it, but it will not connect.

The 321 shows up in the list of devices as "Paired but not connected".

Any suggestions?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Galaxy S has quite reasonable GPS built in. My understanding is that to use an external GPS you have to install an app eg Bluetooth GPS. See these threads http://www.unix.com/android/144683-mini-review-samsung-galaxy-s-android-2-1-v-nokia-e63.html and http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9057. You'll have to scroll down through them.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell, I'll look into that.

The Galaxy S does have a reasonable built in GPS as you say, but not only is it a real battery drain, but recharging while using it causes serious overheating, leading to shutdown

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Agree entirely about the battery drain. Incidentally I think that battery life is slightly better with Gingerbread.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Update - now got them talking to each other. Remains to be seen if the battery problem is solved.

In the end it will be down to which drains the most, built in GPS or Bluetooth!

I'll post again when I've made an all day trip.

Haven't noticed any difference with Gingerbread.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How did you get them to talk to each other?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sorry.

That's down to you.

Found the programme you mentioned, and installed it.

Worked like a dream.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...