We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dab Radio Signal

tonyq

Likes # 0

At the moment I cannot receive Freeview for my TV until the digital switch over, which is in September for my area. Does this mean I will not be able to get any reception on DAB radio till September,or is that something completely different?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

DAB radio coverage is different to digital TV coverage.

To check your local coverage see link text

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

natdoor, thank you for the link. I am getting - "you are fairly likely to receive these stations, but may need an external aerial for best reception". The reason I posted the question is that I have just bought a Panasonic Compact Stereo System Model No SC-HC30DB, which has DAB,FM as well as provision for ipod and CD playing. I don't seem able to get either DAB or FM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Digital sawitch over will not make any difference to DAB (or FM) reception. (

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Hi all,

would a Indoor aerial make a difference for getting Dab/FM reception?,if so could you recommend one.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

DAB is often much more difficult to receive than FM. If you can't receive FM then it's a good chance DAB will be impossible. You may be able to improve your FM signal with an indoor antenna but you will probably need an expensive outdoor antenna for DAB. As DAB sound is no better then FM (in most circumstances) then I'd forget DAB and try FM.

You've discovered the folly of forcing people to switch from proven high quality FM to inferior DAB unless the user and the broadcaster investing very heavily in new equipment - for no overall gain.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"DAB is often much more difficult to receive than FM. "

But not necessarily so.

I went to DAB simply because there is no FM signal here, and driving through the Highlands I frequently continue to receive DAB stations long after FM has disappeared.

It's very much a matter of locality.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more