We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen capture tools = choppy output?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

Im trying to record the entire screen, to make a 20 second "how to" video to send to someone. Is it common for most screen capture tools to give a fairly choppy output with lost frames/low framerate? I am trying to screen capture for the first time using virtualdub and the 'VH ScreenCapture X86' plugin on a dual core vista laptop. Despite trying many edits prior to recording (fps/output resolution etc) to see if I could make a difference to the performance, nothing seems to lessen choppiness. Can anyone give any tips on getting a better recording? For recording my actions on a laptop of 1280x800 resolution, whats the minimum recommended output video resolution for a reasonable quality that is clear to understand - I thought recording uncompressed with virtualdub, then converting to another format last (possibly using another program to convert to xvid or similar) would be the best option? I cant lower the laptops resolution as its a gfx related video linked to this - but thanks for any tips or links on how to get my output the smallest size least choppy video for recording a screen of this resolution, if possible :)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

update since I cant edit:- I figured out that recording in the original dimensions uncompressed was definately the way to go, as I managed to convert one 2 gig avi uncompressed file to a mere 8mb avi xvid using format factory, which was nice :) not an ad! ;) So the only thing im really wondering about now is the choppyness of my recordings even when uncompressed - it simply a processing issue or is there some editing option that ive likely missed in order to get a smoother less choppy output? Ive not managed to fix this, so I lowered the fps right down from 60 to 15fps (saw no change), and then finally compressed my avi. Thanks for any help

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Found this,

Real-Time Screen capturing/recording easily done with VirtualDub and VHScrCap Click here

You won't like this bit though, about half way down, "Edit: According to some users, this method does not work with Windows 7 and Windows Vista."

Try this program, Ashampoo Snap 3 from my link here in this Click here

It is still active even though it's for the Winter Holiday 2010,

have a read about it in this Click here

I have just recorded a 1 minute 40 seconds of a video with audio at a screen size of 1440x900, bitrate 531 kbp,s in wmv format, size 6.44MB, with Acceptable video & audio quality with No Stuttering at all, on a P4 3.40GHz Computer, aged about 7 years old (the PC not Me, lol).

Like this post  
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Forgot to say, that the program is Free from my link in the thread I linked to, Not the last link, that's £6.99.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...