We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive TV Recorder

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can anyone suggest a good quality hdd (hdmi) tv recorder? Needs to have optical out for sound, and a minimum of 500gb capacity.

I don't need it to have any tuning capabilities at all.... Does such a device exist?

Like this post
maggotdrowner

Likes # 0

Why wouldn't you want it to have a tuner? There are plenty of HDD recorders with 500GB or 1TB drives with HDMI output and optical out as that's pretty much the standard spec. Plenty will record freeview HD too and normally they have twin tuners so you can record two programs at once and depending on which muxes those recordings are using you may be able to watch a third channel at the same time though most people would just use the TV tuner. Check out the usual sites like Comet and Currys and do some research on any models which look about right. I've got the Philips HDT8520 which has had a number of issues but with the latest firmware update is now reasonable and available relatively cheaply because of its past reputation. I think the general opinion amongst people who have tried various is the Humax brand - either Fox T2 for HD broadcasts or PVR9300T for SD only although I believe the HDD is only 320GB on that.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

My setup doesn't need anymore tuners :)) I think the nearest I have found is an LG model, which will work nicely with my DTS system ( blu-ray) trouble is, if you don't connect an aerial, the system won't initialise.

My old PVR had an analogue tuner, but presided it to use scart and optical only. Talked to Comet, and they say no aerial, no setup.

Can't think of anywhere else to look!

Anyone?

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Found one! Toshiba 500gb hdd with no burner (not required) and OPTIONAL hd freeview (will work as a recorder only)

Took a bit of looking though!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Can you give a link as my son might want one

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I will try if the link won't post as I am on my iPad at the moment it's from comet hd recorders the only non DVD one they do @ £199 link text

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

It worked!

Faints!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow