We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Iphone 4 And Apple TV

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was re-arranging a few things on my iphone this morning, prior to hospital visit tommorow. I have had the phone and an Ipad for quite a while, but only recently aquired the Apple TV. Now this is where it gets a bit strange:

I selected a particular song on my iphone, and was presented with the choice of either playing it on the phone (default) or the Apple TV. Being a teccie sort of chap I selected the Apple TV (which at the time was off, as was the TV and the 7.1 surround sound system to which it's attached.

Without doing anything, the Apple TV unit woke up, and the track was played to it. So my iphone is actually able to stream to the TV unit and bring it out of sleep.

Tried it with my ipad2, but no such option. I'd better downnload the manul for the TV unit....Seems it does have a purpose!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Both my iPhone 3gs and iPad2, both running iOS 4.3.3 will wake the Apple TV to play music, video or photos but certainly not the Samsung TV or Onkyo Surround Sound amplifier.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

It didn't wake the TV or the DTS, that WOULD have been spooky. I have the manual now, so will have a look at the ipad2 settings. It's on charge at the moment.

I haven't had a chance to play with the Apple TV properly yet, seems a nice toy though.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Sorry I misunderstood your second paragraph.

Had the Apple TV 2 since it came out. It was very good at launch but since the Airplay update it is brilliant. Virtually any video on the web can be streamed to a TV from the iPhone, iTouch or iPad2 with one click, in addition to everything on iTunes and various Photo programs.

It is said the Internet side will be beefed up and other Players added.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Don't want to start a new thread on this, but can anyone confirm that they are having problems installing the latest Apple TV update? I am trying to go from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2

The update always fails. Have tried reset etc, have found a rumour that this update does not apply to the UK? Otherwise, it's working fine

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I have 4.2.2 installed and had no issues and the update is universal.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Thanks, better get on to Apple, may have a bad unit. :((

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Just a quick update for anyone with the same issue. I spoke at length with Apple, and every third call is the same.

They think it's the update, or possibly a faulty batch of 2nd generation Apple TV units. Mine works fine apart from not updating, but I would advise anyone with the same problem to report it to Apple.

They will either sort the update, or replace these units.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

As an end to this thread, Apple are sending me a replacement on Monday. Seems the unit is faulty.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Okay, I must be getting old! How do I close a thread as resolved?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Apparently, I'm supposed to tap the big tick to close this thread. WHAT BIG TICK? Grrr.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...