We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Android Apps - is it safe?

AllThumbs

Likes # 0

Hi folks, I recently bought one of the eee transformer tablets and it is very nice, however I now find myself leary of the android app market place due to an article I read recently where a bunch of apps were pulled because some....bad people... had downloaded the original apps, added in malware and then uploaded them again, sometimes as free versions of the original app. This would then, when installed, harvest data, passwords etc and pass it back through the net.

The problem is in part that these devices come sans firewall and with limited security (yes I know you get a view of what permissions are required, but there's a "may contain nuts" approach in the labelling and even the most mild app seems to want a heck of lot of permissions).

In addition Google lost a large chunk of personal data recently which makes me mistrust it's marketplace account feature.

Am I being paranoid or is there a simple solution to this that peeps in the know can point me at?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The problem is probably overrated but you should add an anti-virus app Android anti-virus. I wouldn't consider doing on-line banking with a tablet.

Like this post
AllThumbs

Likes # 0

Cheers, yeah I did already stick AVG free on (hoping that it wasn't one of those with extra malware), and I agree that banking etc would be a bad idea.

However to buy apps you need to have a google account, to do that you need to have a link between your credit card (presumably) and your google account, which basically sticks your credit card details on an unsecured net device. My point being that using an android tablet seems to sidestep any firewall and/or security you have in place on the pc. If I could buy the app on the pc and download either via the pc or direct to the device it'd be one thing. This thing is like turning off your security and then shopping online.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I bought my phone app on the PC and then it was sent to the mobile. How this would work with a tablet though I'm not sure. I think that you can download an app to the pc and then you should be able to transfer it across.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers